Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Classic Antique

El Dragyn

slash plays with sd alnicos which i think are hotter than the 57 classics. probably closer to the 496/500 in the regular classic. the top on the antique is more of a flame top, no pick guard. the honeyburst and vintage look like guitars that Slash plays.

The regular Classic has the '57 Classic pickups, a plain top and is pretty much what the name implies, a "Classic" Les Paul. The Classic Antique has a flamed top, HOT ceramic pickups (496/500), and a few cosmetic features like the bound headstock with that pearl inlay thingy.

I just picked up one of the older Classics which also had the 496/500 ceramics. It took one rehearsal and I went out an picked up a set of alnicos. I'm playing mostly classic rock, and the stock pickups were just too hot.

The regular Classic has the '57 Classic pickups' date=' a plain top and is pretty much what the name implies, a "Classic" Les Paul. The Classic Antique has a flamed top, [u']HOT[/u] ceramic pickups (496/500), and a few cosmetic features like the bound headstock with that pearl inlay thingy.

quote]

other way around with the PUs.

regular classic for Slash tone out of the box- If you don't need a flamed top. You can always put the alnicos in if you aren't crazy about the pickups. Epiphone is coming out with a Slash signature for less $$. looks kind of interesting, it has the duncan pickups and a long neck tenon which is usually only available on Gibby custom shop stuff. I would buy a used regular classic and change the pickups if you dont like them. They are really good for GNR and that type of sound.

The regular Classic has the '57 Classic pickups' date=' a plain top and is pretty much what the name implies' date=' a "Classic" Les Paul. The Classic Antique has a flamed top, [u'']HOT[/u] ceramic pickups (496/500), and a few cosmetic features like the bound headstock with that pearl inlay thingy.

quote]

other way around with the PUs.

Fenn Rx is correct. Let me help put this straight.

I own a 2007 LP Classic Antique. It has a 57 Classic at the neck position and a 57 Classic Plus at the bridge position.

The LP Classic has the 496R at the neck and the 500T at the bridge.

So what kind of tone characteristics does yours have and how do you like the neck' date=' weight, etc?[/quote']

The tone is good on this guitar. The guitar sustains very well and the pickup set, not being super-hot, has very nice tone. The neck pickup sounds particularly sweet on clean and slightly edgy amp settings, and the bridge pickup howls nicely with the amp overdriven. The middle position has a nice sparkly tone. Pinch harmonics are easy to come by.

The guitar is noticeably lighter than the solid-bodied LPs. My point of comparison is my 1976 LP Special with a solid mahogany body. Still, the Classic Antique is nicely balanced with a nice heft. Its center of mass seems focused more towards the neck heel / upper body area, where the heavier guitar has a definite weight bias at the lower body.

Uh so anyone? Would the Classic Antique be good for Classic Rock or the Slash tone' date=' better then a Standard Faded?[/quote']

Well, the standard faded is probably a better classic rock tone, because it has burstbucker pickups, however, the classic antique would probably be very good for classic rock, too. As for Slash tone, I don't know. I don't have enough experience with the classic antique to speak for it. But, the I know the standard faded can pull off a Slash tone pretty well. Watch this guy's video. (

:-$

I just bought a classic antique GOW today from an online reputable Gibby dealer.there where none of these week 27 GOW LP anywhere to play so I hope I spent my tax money well.I am wondering about the tone I will get out of the 57's ??? will it be more like 490/498 or more like the 496/500?? I hope it will be comforabley in between,The dealer had 3 from a package deal from Gibson factory.All three were the exact same model but there was a 2 pound difference with the lightest at 6.7 pounds and the one I took at 8.5 pounds??Any one with knowledge of what I can expect ,please let me know .I am thinkin that I got 1 of 400 made and should be a great buy.3 days out and counting....thanks Ron

Ugh' date=' I cant decide now. If the 57's are sweeter then that sounds like my type of guitar...

Arnt Burstbuckers nearly the same thing tho? They are recreations?[/quote']

Well, they are very similar pickups, so that's where you would have to try the guitars at a store, to see which one fits your preference. When buying a guitar, it's better to buy one at a local store (unless you don't have a local store) because you can play it, and see if it's really what you wanted. You can also see what kind of maple top it has, and lastly, it also supports small business.

So I got it yesterday and all I can say is,,, why would anyone spend the extra $350 on a standard when you could have a 1 of 400 collecters axe that sounds/feels looks as good if not better than a standard. I was concerned about the 57's but they are killer.I love the feel and looks of this guitar but most of all the tone tone TONE!!.I often trade/sell my collected assortment of middle of the road guitars, but I know this will be a keeper.If you are considering a les paul this is the model to get.thanks for the input. Ron

Archived