Gibson Brands Forums

Well, I was off by 30%

glp2012

At least one person called me a troll...but, Gibson makes their Melody Maker for $389. Here is their narrative:

"The Explorer Melody Maker is one the Limited Run Series as Gibson USA re-introduces the Melody Maker as the budget-friendly entree to Gibson solidbody electrics."

Here's the link:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Limited-Run-Explorer-Melody-Maker-Electric-Guitar-106555832-i1774369.gc

Looks like a nice entry level guitar to me.

My entire point was about profitability. You see, everybody needs to take their slice of the pie before it gets to the retail market. I would guess the Melody Maker is comprised of less than $100 worth of wholesale parts and labor.

I assume these are made in American...

It is an interesting point (as far as it goes)

The Melody Makers are built down to a price and often need 'tweaking' to upgrade

But are nevertheless a fun way into the Gibson world

There are vast numbers of $300 guitars around...mostly Oriental, some labelled Epiphone even

It all depends, as already intimated, on wage levels and degree of mass production

Select woods and hardware/electrics quality are important factors too

V

:-({|=

I usually assume dealer mark up at 40% on guitars, that is what I was told by one, you can back into an estimated cost for Gibson.

Trying to discern what is parts and what is labor gets tricky.

When it comes to guitars under $1,000 frankly I think Gibson makes more money out of an Epiphone guitar.

If you go to the Gibson factory you will see that binding, finishing and buffing takes most of the labor.

At least one person called me a troll...but, Gibson makes their Melody Maker for $389. Here is their narrative:

"The Explorer Melody Maker is one the Limited Run Series as Gibson USA re-introduces the Melody Maker as the budget-friendly entree to Gibson solidbody electrics."

Here's the link:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Limited-Run-Explorer-Melody-Maker-Electric-Guitar-106555832-i1774369.gc

Looks like a nice entry level guitar to me.

My entire point was about profitability. You see, everybody needs to take their slice of the pie before it gets to the retail market. I would guess the Melody Maker is comprised of less than $100 worth of wholesale parts and labor.

I assume these are made in American...

I don't think anyone called you a troll did they?

I think the new MM guitars can be built for less than $100 in parts. But those guitars have rough finishes and no frills. Is that really "Gibson Quality " ?

Guest farnsbarns

I suspect it's a loss leader. You've been able to buy a guitar with Fender on the headstock in that price range for years. I think Gibson are giving teens an entry point to the brand in the hope that brand loyalty means future sales. People like labels, especially teens, so give them access and avoid loosing them to misguided :P Fender brand loyalty. Companies do this a lot, thinking if the lifetime value of a customer, it always starts with a single purchase.

Archived