Gibson Brands Forums

Resistors in the pick up cavity do you change them?

bigtim

I see where a lot of guys tinker around with the electronics on their guitars. I do it also to an extent but I used to just change the pick ups out and that is all. I was wondering about the stock resistors. Changing them to the bumble bee style or maybe another type, does it make that much of a difference? I got an SG standard and I think it sounds great stock. It is a 2006 model with the 490 and 498 and although being all stock, it will be the first one that I leave alone for the most part but, what do the resitors do exactly and can I enhance the tone by just switching them out alone and can I get more output for the bridge by putting a less value reisitor in that posotion along with a higher value on the neck position? Thanks in advanced, Tim

If you have a guitar and you turn the tone knob you know what they do, they roll off the highs, I like the Sprague orange drop caps myself. For a HB pickup you want caps in the range of .022uf http://www.guitarfet...Paul_p_695.html

Yep' I do as well.

Stock Is For Suckers...[flapper]

unless it is a historic reissue from the CS, even I would not mess with one of those.

Archived