Gibson Brands Forums

Whats the best guitar body to mod?

jddc_115

Hi Everyone, I’m looking to purchase a guitar, and then for the first time, completely gut the electronics. My problem is that I have found a wealth of great information on pickups, pots, caps, etc; however, I’m not sure what I should be looking for in a guitar body (in large part due to conflicting information found outside of this forum). I do know that I am looking for a semi-hollow guitar that plays blues rock but apart from that I’m a bit confused. So I have a few questions I was hoping to get clarified, but would really appreciate any help that can be given on the subject.

1) What do you think would be a great semi-hollow body for blues rock that would properly show off some Gibson pickups and how much

would you pay for that?

2) How different would a MIK/MIJ/Epiphone by Gibson/Samick built guitar in good condition sound compared to a new sheraton after having put the same new electronics (pickups, caps, pots, switches, etc) into both guitars? If so which of them (MIK/MIJ/Samick/ Epiphone by Gibson) is best? Is it worth the extra money?

3) What features should I look for that benefit tone/ sound quality (Mahogany v.s Maple neck, 3 piece v.s 5 piece neck,etc)?

I know that I’ve asked a ton of questions, so thanks allot to anyone willing to take the time to answer any of the questions.

J.

Hi and welcome....

Personal 0.02 herewith

Semis are notoriously awkward to work on so work on something simpler first

Like a Telecaster, Les Paul, or similar solid body (the cheaper the better)

Then perhaps move on to the semi with the knowledge/experience gained...

V

:-({|=

1. I'd worry about whether the guitar played well and to your liking before making a selection. Necks vary from model to model and even within the same model. That being said, an Epi Dot would be fine, but any dual humbucker Epiphone could fill the bill.

2. Too many variables in this equation. Is the new guitar equipped with the exact same pickups as the modded one? Wiring? Pots, caps and switches? Is it set up properly? Intonated properly? Impossible to compare apples to apples this way.

3. It's a judgement and personal preference call, but IMHO amp and pickup selection far outweigh materials for effect on tone in a semi-hollow body guitar. Also your technique.

Trust me - fishing all the wires in & out of a semi is very difficult. I would choose a solid body as my first mod project

Ya I did have some similar concerns, so I was going to either have it done at my local guitar store, or be helped out by a friend who has rewired many guitars and offered to help me.

2. Too many variables in this equation. Is the new guitar equipped with the exact same pickups as the modded one? Wiring? Pots, caps and switches? Is it set up properly? Intonated properly? Impossible to compare apples to apples this way.

Ya your right there are a ton of different factors. I was just trying to understand if for example a samick built guitar when gutted and rewired with different caps, pots, pickups and switches would sound much different then if the same modifications were made to a modern, off the shelf sheraton or dot.

J.

I have re-done a DOT before. Took about 90 min the first time. You just have to have everything ready and setup before you start. Otherwise it can be a real pain........

Buy yourself a good book. Dan Erlewine's "How to make you guitar play Great." Then have at it.

I would start with a real cheap Squier. Keep all the original parts you take off. Buy good replacement parts. Start with replacing the wire harness and the pickups. Buy good pickups don't skimp here. You can't go wrong with Fender American pickups.

Get a Tusq XL nut and replace the plastic one.

If you start with good parts and a cheap guitar you can always cannibalize the parts for use on a better guitar. You can then place the original parts back on the cheap guitar.

I'm finding strat types the easiest to mod as far as electrics go, just buy a new pickguard, wire it all up off the guitar, then swap pickguards, 11 screws or less.

Thinking of making some more pickguards for my s310, having sss/hh/p90 combos, using some M3 threaded inserts into the body so it would take me 10 mins tops to completely swap out electrics and pups.

Archived