Gibson Brands Forums

My first Dot

Ron Esquerra

I just bought a made in China Dot used on eBay, came well packed in It's original box with all the original materials. Tobacco sunburst, beautiful guitar really. So here is my initial checklist I would like feedback on from the wise owners here.

Ordered a graphtech black tusq nut.

Bought raw linseed oil to treat the fretboard(It's scratchy when bending strings.)

I have a set of Tim shaw pickups from an 83' custom lp that I bought years ago, should I put these in?

When I do the pickups should I swap all electronics out for better stuff?

Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ron,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the Epi Dot.

Pics are a must. If you don't know how to post pics it is explained here:

DIY

Epi stock electronics fall in with old folks...."Depends". (bad joke)

If you are going to use the guitar on stage, you may want to change them as a matter of dependability. More than a few loose or bad solder joints have been reported. The jacks and switches are also not always the best.

Epi stock wiring is Modern Dependent.

If you have no objection to the utility of the way the controls work....and are not using it on stage...

leave them.

Some use the stock electronics for years and never have a problem.

If you run into a problem later you can always change them.

If you just don't like something about them, well, that's your call.

Congrats Again,

Willy

Welcome. Big Smile....... HELLO......

fish.gif

If it is a newer Epiphone normally the electronics are OK. Older models were notorious for malfunctions in the area of pots and switches, and needed upgrading. YMMV.

The DOT has quick connects for the pickups. You may be able to pick up something similar at radio shack. Computer cable connectors.

The plastic nut is serviceable as is. A Tusq LX is a great replacement thou. Lots of people use graphite for Lube on the plastic nut. I like chapstick myself. I find it a bit more slippery, less string binding when tuning.

welcome to the forum!!!

I bought a used Dot from Austria two years ago and i´m very pleased with her.

I think about changing the nut too. But I´ve never done that before. but in the DIY here you can read all about it.

The dot is my most played guitar. The sound is beautiful for me with the stock pus.

keep us informed if you change all these........and send a pic!

Welcome aboard. Great forum, inhabited by some very knowledgable folks. I agree that waiting a little, before doing anything major, like changing PUs, is probably best. Give it a little time, get to know the guitar. Here's your forum warming present. +1.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I'll get a pic up tonight if I can. To answer a few of your questions, I do plan to use the guitar on stage. I'm a big Warren Haynes fan and I love the tone he gets from his 335's, ideally I want to get that kind of tone from my epi. When I bought the Tim Shaw's on ebay some years back the seller didn't even know they were shaws so I got a great deal ($70 for the set, great care taken with the removal.) I really like the sound of the shaw's I have seen reviewed and I thought that the tone of those would more closely match the PAF's in the old 335's.

Ron,

Looking forward to pics.

As to taking it on stage.....I feel the same about any guitar.

Always have more than one guitar around. I do my own wiring and I trust my guitars.

Even so...Sh*t Happens.

If you like the guitar......make it yours.

Not a Dot but....

Before:

spagetti.jpg

After:

IMG_1746-1.jpg

Willy

If it is a newer Epiphone normally the electronics are OK. Older models were notorious for malfunctions in the area of pots and switches, and needed upgrading. YMMV.

The plastic nut is serviceable as is. A Tusq LX is a great replacement thou. Lots of people use graphite for Lube on the plastic nut.

+1. I have a bunch of Epi's and only replace pots and switches when they short out or are scratchy, which doesn't happen often. Graphite in the nut slots solves 90% of 'tuner' problems.

By all means, put those Shaws in! I've swapped PU's in dozens of F hole guitars, and it's not hard.

If you're doing the rewiring, set the guitar on a towel, on a table, with good lighting and a fan going. To take off the pastic knobs, use a washcloth under the rim to lift them (don't pry them with a screwdriver). Take all the pots out thru the F hole, and set them on a second towel, on top of the guitar. This is your operating table. You probably won't need to take out the toggle or jack. Disconnect one PU at a time, and connect the new one. Don't just start cutting wires, and then forget where they go (some guys get carried away). When the new PU's are soldered in, plug the guitar into an amp and test that everything's working properly. Carefully put the pots back in (don't pull or tug, as you may break a connection). I use a stiff plastic-coated wire to pull the neck tone pot thru and up into it's hole. Some guys use aquarium tubing. The other 3 pots I move into place with a 6" forcept with a curved end. I have a set of 3 nut drivers that I got from StewMac, so that I don't scratch the finish with pliers (you should have nut drivers for solid bodies too). Once all the pots are in place and tightened, test thru an amp again. If everything's fine, put the plastic knobs on the pots. I can get all 4 pots back into a 335 in 5 to 10 minutes, it may take you longer, but it's not anything to dread.

Archived