Gibson Brands Forums

Theory on Ultra's fret buzz?

fretter

I saw this while reading a negative review on the Guitar Center site, wondering if this could actually be true? If so, could explain a lot regarding the LP and ES Ultras....

"The nano-magnetic pickup...on the neck plled the strings closer to the neck and created a nasty buzz when fretting chords in the middle of the neck."

What are your thoughts?

I own an Ultra 2. I've had it since 2008. I do not notice this "Phenomenon" on my guitar.

I think these new Ultras are coming out so poorly set up that they are unplayable.

So, does this mean Epi's new factories in Indonesia, or China are producing vastly inferior instruments?

Or is it QC that is failing? Maybe they are trying to whitewash a huge batch of bad guitars.

There are quite a few threads about bad Ultras. [confused]

Like posted previously, I've read a lot about Ultra III fret buzz being blamed on nanomag magnet strength. How's yours working out fretter? I'm literally 48 hours from purchasing one. Once I sell my variax 600 I'm placing an order for an Ultra III. I see musiciansfriend.com has recently gotten in new stock, so I'm hoping the fret issues are fixed.

PS.. I also want to say I can't believe I've been away for more than 4 months, but I apparently have. I miss animilfarm as well, as I talked to him on the phone a few times trying to fix computer virus issues several months ago to keep him up and running. An amazing guy with a big heart to help others, and funny as could be. Another Epi forum user who will miss his insight and humor...

Like posted previously, I've read a lot about Ultra III fret buzz being blamed on nanomag magnet strength. How's yours working out fretter? I'm literally 48 hours from purchasing one. Once I sell my variax 600 I'm placing an order for an Ultra III. I see musiciansfriend.com has recently gotten in new stock, so I'm hoping the fret issues are fixed.

PS.. I also want to say I can't believe I've been away for more than 4 months, but I apparently have. I miss animilfarm as well, as I talked to him on the phone a few times trying to fix computer virus issues several months ago to keep him up and running. An amazing guy with a big heart to help others, and funny as could be. Another Epi forum user who will miss his insight and humor...

Welcome back! Yeah, I think that guy was full of sheet music regarding the nanomag causing the fret buzz. I initially had fret buzz on the E middle frets. But since I have changed strings (Brightwires 10-46) it has gone away. I've been told that type and size of string is real critical with these guitars though.

Welcome back! Yeah, I think that guy was full of sheet music regarding the nanomag causing the fret buzz. I initially had fret buzz on the E middle frets. But since I have changed strings (Brightwires 10-46) it has gone away. I've been told that type and size of string is real critical with these guitars though.

I think I'll bite the bullet and go for it then. Didn't even think about string gauge/type mattering that much, but I can see that having a definite effect. Heard really good things about the Probuckers, and the whole reason I bought a Variax was to use the acoustic models combined with electric, so the Ultra III fits the bill perfectly. Now to choose a color...

Also Fret, how long have you had yours, and what was the manufacture date listed in the serial? Really curious if it's a QC thing that they fixed in the last couple months.

I think I'll bite the bullet and go for it then. Didn't even think about string gauge/type mattering that much, but I can see that having a definite effect. Heard really good things about the Probuckers, and the whole reason I bought a Variax was to use the acoustic models combined with electric, so the Ultra III fits the bill perfectly. Now to choose a color...

Also Fret, how long have you had yours, and what was the manufacture date listed in the serial? Really curious if it's a QC thing that they fixed in the last couple months.

I've had mine about 6 months but I haven't done the research as to manufaturing date.

I saw that in next post, you've ordered up, I hope that you get a good one. If it is set right, I don't think you'll be dissappointed at all.

Do you have to two amps? If so, I highly recommend at least once, run the nanomag into one amp and the PBs into another. Big sound and it's like someones jamming with you.

I've had mine about 6 months but I haven't done the research as to manufaturing date.

I saw that in next post, you've ordered up, I hope that you get a good one. If it is set right, I don't think you'll be dissappointed at all.

Do you have to two amps? If so, I highly recommend at least once, run the nanomag into one amp and the PBs into another. Big sound and it's like someones jamming with you.

I have a Pod HD500 that I use for most tones. I plan on running it direct thru power amp on my amp for the electric tones, and into the clean channel for acoustic tones. We'll see how it works. I'm pretty excited about it.

In a short post, I will NOT trust an Epi with such a nano mag system....It is not their area of QC or expertise......

Even Gibson has had a heck of a time getting the tech right.....I'm not buzzkilling here, just stating my thoughts on all of the problems....

And there are tons...........For those who's guitars do work with the systems, fantastic........

I want my guitars to work smoothly, without returning them etc etc...........

Archived