Gibson Brands Forums

New member - New (used) guitar!

jtbeck

Thought I'd introduce myself and show off my latest guitar (and my only Epi for the time being).

I used to tinker with guitar and bass back in high school. Took a 25 year break when life got in the way. Just started back up in May of 2011. I was awful in high school and I seem to be staying pretty true to form - but I do enjoy it! I'm just playing for my own amusement since I'm sure my playing wouldn't amuse anyone else. I would say that if I had to pick a level - I'm either a beginning intermediate player or an advanced beginner. Both are just ways of saying that I'm at the beginning of this journey, I guess.

As mentioned I've only been at this since last May and I've already gone through about 15 different guitars. Collecting them is addictive. When I walk into a music store or browse online I'm like a kid in a candy store. They're all so beautiful that I want one of every flavor.

I'm a big fan of Agile, SX and Douglas (hope those aren't considered dirty words around here) as well as Squier and Epiphone. Currently I've got a '97 Squier LPB standard SSS strat, an '06 Fender MIM Midnight Wine HSS strat, SX Hawk P90 strat, a Jimmie Vaughan HSS (SDJB in the bridge) partscaster with a Squier neck, a Squier CVC tele (which I love dearly) and my latest acquisition (and I guess my ticket to this particular dance) an Epiphone Nighthawk Fireburst. I really, really love everything about this guitar. Might stick a SD JB slant in the bridge and a 59 in the neck - but that will be down the road if it ever happens - the neck. My god, the neck. It fits my hand like they were made for each other. It's super light and comfortable, too. I don't know if they're prone to neck dive since they're so light because I use a 3.5" leather strap with it. No neck dive with that thing in place. I traded an Agile AL2K for it about a month ago (roughly a $225 value) and I was offered $350 for the Nighthawk a couple of weeks ago. Turned 'em down. I don't know that I'll ever let this thing go.

Here's the proof:

9f37d07f.jpg

781e2bfb.jpg

cb616c64.jpg

73c2cda7.jpg

52e78be4.jpg

fa1c58c8.jpg

Don't know if it really shows up in the pics, but the neck has been "scotch-brited" and it makes such a difference in the feel of it. Previous owner did it - but I have since done the same thing to my son's Ephiphone SG G-400. It makes them feel soooo nice.

Anyway - glad to be here and glad to own this Nighthawk. I'll try not to be too obnoxious.

Welcome to the forum jtbeck!

You sound to me like you will fit right into the membership here. Many members, like you, have a similar story to tell; having been away from the guitar for a while and then re-introducing themselves to it.

And of course just about everyone here has G.A.S..

I didn't pick up an electric guitar until I was 45 years old. Now I am addicted!

Nice Nighthawk! [thumbup]

Welcome to the forum jtbeck!

You sound to me like you will fit right into the membership here. Many members, like you, have a similar story to tell; having been away from the guitar for a while and then re-introducing themselves to it.

And of course just about everyone here has G.A.S..

I didn't pick up an electric guitar until I was 45 years old. Now I am addicted!

Nice Nighthawk! [thumbup]

Thanks, man. I really do love this Nighthawk. I saw my first one about 6 months ago and knew that I had to have one. I really like the "overblown-ness" of it. Plus, it just fits me like a glove. It's a much better guitar than I am a guitar player, that's for sure. Value priced guitars have come a looooong way since the 80's.

Thanks, I agree completely. You can't tell it from my horrible photography, but this thing is stunningly pretty. And I was really amazed at the fit and finish of it. Not even a sharp fret end to gripe about. I think this is one of those guitars that's certainly not everyone's bag - but I can't fault it in any way. I'm very happy with it.

Welcome here! Wow, reading your story I thought I was reading about me. Especially the pictures of the fireburst Nighthawk, I have one too. Like you, I just got back into playing electrics after about 25 years away and I have picked up 7 guitars since September, 2011. Yes, I'm a guitarholic. And I'm an eternal beginner too! That is to say at my best, it's really not that good but I like it.

You're going to meet a lot of very knowledgable, very good people here. Enjoy!

Archived