Gibson Brands Forums

Fake Epiphone Special Model?

AL1132

Hi Fellas

I'm confused and curious with my epiphone special model that i traded last year

trade it with my fender squier and that guy said that this guitar is vintage and he bought it 5 years ago

I'm afraid that it's a chinese made

is it fake? (see the pics)

please tell me the truth

and please let me know the exact price of it

thank you very much

cheers

post-41582-068726200 1331688529_thumb.jpg

post-41582-079048600 1331688535_thumb.jpg

post-41582-063645800 1331688541_thumb.jpg

post-41582-091185200 1331688546_thumb.jpg

thank you very much

do you know the exact price of this guitar?

but i'm sure this thing is made in china eh

Like it though... haha... I'm excited when the first time I trade it

cause i've never had this kind of guitar before

I always play ibanez and yamaha

still trying to sell my ibanez steve vai special edition, it sucks! really !

i regret it, I should've bought gibson or epiphone from the first time !

thanks Willy

but I'm sure I won't sell it

except somebody wants to trade it with dot or sheraton model

I'd love to, but ya i know it's impossible to trade it

also... I'm looking for the hard case though, the real one

you know where to buy?

also... I'm looking for the hard case though, the real one

you know where to buy?

They don't make one. I adapt them from a regular L.P. case.

Specials...(and I have a few).... are thinner guitars than the regular L.P.s

That's one in my Avatar.

A trip to a fabric store.....some sponge rubber and some cloth....a template made from construction paper ....

This is what I do:

IMG_1364.jpg...IMG_1327.jpg

photo2.jpg

Willy

yaaa

that's all about prestige though

if you carried an epiphone hard case, everybody will know that it's epiphone

how about gibson's hard case?

I think it'll be expensive eh?

like $100 and more eh?

that's all about prestige though

if you carried an epiphone hard case, everybody will know that it's epiphone

Epiphone's are played by some of the world's top performers and even welcome in the White House, so what's to be ashamed of?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_q5HCm2_WQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1JCWH_NNvo&feature=relmfu

I'd worry more about your chops than what the label on the headstock says. If you're a smokin' player nobody really cares what brand guitar you own. And if they do care, they're whatcha call "cork sniffing brand snobs" and are just hiding behnd their expensive guitars because they know they can't play so that's they only way they think they can get any credibility.

Think about it, when was the last time you heard anyone say "That kid's playing sucks but he has good gear so he must be good." or "I saw this band last night and they were awesome but played Epiphones so I'm not going to see them again." Don't get caught up in the snobbery hype, it's a fool's rationale.

BTW, Gibson cases run $150 to $300. Epiphone LP cases are $79 new and are the same thing: http://www.samash.com/p/Epiphone_Les%20Paul%20Electric%20Guitar%20Case%20E940ENLPCS_-49994760?cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Electric%20Guitar%20Cases-_-Les%20Paul%20Electric%20Guitar%20Case%20E940ENLPCS-_-ENLPCS

Or less if you don't want a logo on it: http://www.rondomusic.com/egc-200lp.html

There is an announcement thread at the top of the Epiphone Electric forum list entitled I.D. Your Epiphone Here..

The serial number on the neck plate will indicate where and when the guitar was made (assuming that the plate is original to the guitar).

Your serial indicates Indonesia and 1998 for your guitar. You may wish to determine what the body material is, by looking inside the back controls cover or removing the neck at some point. The body may be solid wood or possibly laminated.

Newer models are made in China.

As for the value of the guitar, well.. it's worth however much someone will pay for it, realistically.

When I was looking at used Les Paul Special II models last year/early this year, I looked for the lowest prices available for new ones.. and there were a couple of US dealers that were selling them for $165-$170 including shipping. That would mean (to me anyway) that a used LP Special II would have a used value of approximately $100 maximum.

There are some unique characteristics of older guitars, but nothing that makes then especially valuable, such as your hardware may be chrome instead of nickel found on newer models.

I have both solid mahogany and laminated body Les Paul Special II models, and as far as value, the solid mahogany may be of slightly greater value, but not much.

The real value is IMO, that they're great knock-around guitars that don't need to be cherished as a valuable possession.. they can sit around and be handled or played without worrying about getting a scratch or ding.

They make good carcasses for building custom or modified guitars.. bare bodies can sometimes be found for about $25, but then some lucky stiffs find whole guitars in playable condition for about the same price.

The builders that make counterfeit guitars generally make fakes of higher priced guitars.

Bill

Hi Fellas

I'm confused and curious with my epiphone special model that i traded last year

trade it with my fender squier and that guy said that this guitar is vintage and he bought it 5 years ago

I'm afraid that it's a chinese made

is it fake? (see the pics)

please tell me the truth

and please let me know the exact price of it

thank you very much

cheers

• 8 years later...

Anyone have any ideas about this one?

Epi spcl model P6006309

Its a guitar I bought used back in the early 2000's.  Thought getting the specs for it would be pretty cool. And I honestly don't want to take the pups out to check. 

Recently got an epi 60's tribute plus in vintage sunburst with the Gibson 57 pups and electronics. It is amazing!!  

Edited by Ginson24m