Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge pickup in neck

Pete B

I put an old SD SH5 pickup in my SG a while ago, I think I bought it in the early 90's. Don't know what it was intended for as it has 50mm pole spacing. This although not too significant is annoying me. Just wondering what it would sound like in the neck position if I put it in another guitar? A bit overpowered? [confused]

Hi. You Mean Your Pickup Selector Switch And You out It In Bridge Position But It Goes to The Neck pickup Interesting Question....... Hmm. Here Is What I'm Thinking About Maybe When you Installed your pickup Maybe You put It In the WrongSide,Or The Quality of it. Somethin' Like That I Think you should let A Professional "Guitar tech" To Fix It That's the Best I can think About

-Joshua Calicdan

What's an SH-5's common name? Basically, any hot bridge PU in the neck is going to be very dark amd lacking treble, and may overpower whatever you have in the bridge. The neck slot is naturally dark, powerful, and bassy; the bridge slot is bright, sharp, and weak. That's why bridge PU's are usually overwound, to balance that out; give a little more volume and less treble to the bridge. Put that same PU in the neck, and for most types of music, it's overkill. But sometimes it can work for hard rock and metal.

I had a 14.0 ohm GFS Fat PAT (exposed coils) bridge pu that I found to be too bright in the couple of guitars I tried it in. So it sat in a box for a year or so.

I had changed pu’s in a few guitars last year and I got into experimenting. I found that I tended to like hot HB pu’s coil cut better than typical 8.0 ohm HB’s. It just leaves you more output in the single coil mode. Anyway, one day I wanted to try a hot neck pu to match a hot bridge pu I installed my ’09 Epi LP St. I remembered that I had the GFS that was too bright. So I took a shot installing it in the neck position in the Std. It worked out better than I could have imagined. I now have installed that pu combo in five guitars and I love them.

Bottom line – for me the too bright bridge pu worked well in the neck position in five out of the five guitars I’ve tried them in:

Epiphone Les Paul Plain Top Bigsby

ESP PC-2V

Gretsch G5122

Ibanez S470DXQM-RVK

PRS SE

When I got my Korina SG, last year, I tried a combo of JB at the bridge and a bridge wound SH-1 '59 at the neck. Love it. I have plenty of "soft" guitars, I was looking for something with some zotz. That combo gave it to me.

I have a Tokai SG, the neck pickup is 17.5k and the bridge 18.5k (both stock), an extremely hot pickup set, yet it sounds so full and rich with very good articulation, you would never guess the pickups were wound so hot if you simply listened to it.

Now I remember, SH-5's are Customs, which is an overwound 14K with a high output ceramic magnet. It's going to be pertty dark in the neck (most neck HB's are around 8K, which gives clarity and definition), and likely to overpower your bridge PU. If that's what you want, go for it.

Archived