Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul 100 neck or equivalent

swamprock

I've been checking eBay for a Les Paul 100 neck (bolt-on) for the past few months to no avail. I've got a 1994 model that's in great shape, except for the warped and checked neck. Does anyone know if there's another Epiphone or other 4-bolt neck that I could replace it with? I'd rather not have to drill any more holes into the body if at all possible.

I'm thinking that a Special, Junior (both LP or SG) or a G-310 neck should technically fit. I dont know if the bolt holes will line up or not. Even if you were to buy an actual LP-100 replacement neck, the holes may not line up. These things tend to vary over the course of time, and since the LP-100 has been in production since 1994, there is a good chance that any particular LP-100 neck you get may not line up to the holes on the body exactly.

Prepare yourself to do some drilling - just in case.

Yo Swamp there was a guy on the tele forum that had been selling an lp jr neck a few weeks ago. I'll do a little snooping and pm you the info if i find it.

I'd appreciate that, thanks. I guess I may have to do some fill and drill, but that's not beyond my abilities...

As RTH suggests, the neck holes are somewhat consistent.. but there may be slight differences.

Most of the Epiphone bolt-on necks that I've seen, including the Les Paul 100, are a rectangular pattern with a neck plate which measures approximately 2" x 2-1/2" (same as many Fender and other necks).

At least some of the Epiphone SG models (maybe others) use a different pattern with a neck plate which measures approx 1-7/8" x 2".

I also look for Epiphone and other 3+3 LP-style necks on eBay regularly, and have seen some necks with screw holes which were too far off center.. I don't know what the reason would be, other than sloppy workmanship.

I've also seen some necks which have cracks between screw holes, so there are some used necks which are in very poor condition for sale which would likely present serious problems either immediately, or later.

There are also different sizes of neck screws used, I think the majority are #8, but at least a few models use larger diameter screws, probably #10.

Some folks have difficulty with measuring heel widths when trying to convey fractions of an inch, so having a seller recheck the dimension may be worthwhile.

Your LP 100 likely needs a neck heel width of 2-3/16" and the larger rectangular pattern, with the smaller diameter screw holes, and 22 frets (24-3/4" scale).. which are common features of many Epiphone models in the Les Paul line. One variation in some models may be that the nut width is 1-11/16" although a width of 1-5/8" is probably more common.

Bill

I've been checking eBay for a Les Paul 100 neck (bolt-on) for the past few months to no avail. I've got a 1994 model that's in great shape, except for the warped and checked neck. Does anyone know if there's another Epiphone or other 4-bolt neck that I could replace it with? I'd rather not have to drill any more holes into the body if at all possible.

Your LP 100 likely needs a neck heel width of 2-3/16" and the larger rectangular pattern, with the smaller diameter screw holes, and 22 frets (24-3/4" scale).. which are common features of many Epiphone models in the Les Paul line. One variation in some models may be that the nut width is 1-11/16" although a width of 1-5/8" is probably more common.

Bill

The most common nut width for an Epiphone electric is 1-11/16" or 1.6875". I've typed this number in to the wiki hundreds, if not a thousand times. I can only recal a few 1.625" nut widths. Usually on acoustics or custom stuff.

Any bolt-neck LP or SG you find is going to be 24.75" scale. No worries there. The heel, on the other hand, I'm not sure about. I've never measured them. I totally forgot about the different sized neck plates though. Definitely something to look in to before buying. I have a G-310, LP Junior and SG JUnior at home. I can check them out and let you know which ones have which neck plates.

• 2 weeks later...

Just getting back to this thread. Been busy for the past few weeks...

Thanks for all of the replies guys. My Epi Jr. is due for a change of strings, so I'll take the neck off and see how it fits on the 100.

Something you might try, if for some reason the neck and body screw holes don't align. These kits are available on eBay for $5.50. I ran into the the same issue while building my tele partscaster and when I changed the body on my Strat. If the holes don't align, I'd fill the neck holes with yellow wood glue and some small wood dowel plugs (almost every hardware store carries them). Once dried place the neck in the body pocket and mark the holes onto the neck ( I use a drill bit in a drill running backwards).

neckinsertkit.jpg (the neck plate is not included)

The brass inserts are easy to install with the instructions that are included ( you will need a 5/16" drill bit). The bolts replace the screws and can take a good tightening, without stripping out the wood. You'll get a much better connection between the neck and body and never have to worry about stripping the wood out trying to get the joint tight or from repeated removal. I converted both guitars with inserts/bolts and love them. All of the parts in the kit are available at some place like Ace, for about $6, but then with the kit, you get stainless steel bolts and brass inserts. Just a thought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280849359713?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Thanks for the info, tweed. I may have to rely on that barring any simple solution....

For less than $10 I'd do it anyway, as Pat mentioned it gives a better neck/body join as a consequence.

Archived