Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone try a Warmoth?

drumrnmuzik

Since my little fingers can't get around those long baseball bats, I'd like to mount a Warmoth 12 degree 24 3/4 neck on the only "F" company guitar left in my house.

Actually I admit that I like that single coil sound with a maple neck.

Anybody ever tried a Warmoth neck swap?

Thanks for ya'lls comments.

their quality is good but have not seen a conversion neck at work,

For the price you are better off spending a bit more money and buy a Fender model with a shorter scale, like the Mustang among others.

I don't think he'll get the tone he's looking for out of a Mustang or Jag. The Strat tone can't be had with a shorter scale or a set neck. But I would highly recommend Warmoth. I might get some parts and build up a Tele or a Superstrat. Like a 5150 clone or a Les Paul body style (maybe a doublecut Junior style) with a trem and a single humbucker, maybe with a Dimarzio Pro Track or something in the neck. And no tone pot. One or two volumes, and if I am using a single pickup, a killswitch.

1332442004[/url]' post='1157570']

their quality is good but have not seen a conversion neck at work,

For the price you are better off spending a bit more money and buy a Fender model with a shorter scale, like the Mustang among others.

It's like a Strat with Humbuckers, it's not a Gibson. I've tried splitting Humbuckers on my SG, but it's not a Strat

Some times you just need a certain sound. I've had a Jaguar but it's not the same sound.

Could you see Stevie Ray with a Gibson? Don't fit.

It's like a Strat with Humbuckers, it's not a Gibson. I've tried splitting Humbuckers on my SG, but it's not a Strat

Some times you just need a certain sound. I've had a Jaguar but it's not the same sound.

Could you see Stevie Ray with a Gibson? Don't fit.

That's my point. You can't get that 'brown sound' of EVH with a Les Paul (it comes close though. I have come close with a Strat with single coils too. But Eddie's hands make it sound brown. He even makes the 5150 amps, in both Peavey and Fender incarnations, sound brown, and they're about as brown as vanilla wafers.). A big part of it, aside from his hands, a 68 era Super Lead on the bright channel with every knob on 10 with a Variac, and the ever-awesome Echoplex (the Phase 90 and Flanger are secondary), comes from a Strat style guitar made of alder or ash with a long scale bolt on maple neck/fingerboard that has been thickened with a humbucker. And the humbucker being slanted and mounted directly to the wood makes it 'browner'. And the Strat tremolo bridge contributes a bit.

Warmoth sells "scale conversion" necks, I assumed he was referring to one of those.

Warmoth claims on their site that the 24 3/4" neck just needs the saddles moved to get the proper intonation. I wonder how much?

What tonal difference would I get by changing the orignal maple Strat neck a shorter one? Lower & deeper sound?

Thanks for the great feeback you guys.

Warmoth claims on their site that the 24 3/4" neck just needs the saddles moved to get the proper intonation. I wonder how much?

What tonal difference would I get by changing the orignal maple Strat neck a shorter one? Lower & deeper sound?

Thanks for the great feeback you guys.

I love my Warmoth. Strat body with 24.75 scale neck. I did get a fret dressing. Plays great, intonates perfectly. Wonderful player. You can choose whatever pickup configuration you want so the resulting sound can be whatever you want. If anything, mine has a very Maple sound to it with the maple neck even though I have a chambered mahogany body.

DSC_0004-1-3-1.jpg

I was considering building a LP Jr. copy from them and putting flashing light reflectors on it (my bassist knows electronics) to pay homage to the guy playing guitar in my avitar! Or building one with a normal finish to use for slide. I still gotta find something to do with my Gretsch Electromatic Double Cut (in Silver Sparkle! Its like glam Malcolm Young!). And I still want a Les Paul (preferably a mid to late 70s Custom with three pickups) to replace my SG as my main guitar, and either use the SG as a backup, or for slide.

I love my Warmoth. Strat body with 24.75 scale neck. I did get a fret dressing. Plays great, intonates perfectly. Wonderful player. You can choose whatever pickup configuration you want so the resulting sound can be whatever you want. If anything, mine has a very Maple sound to it with the maple neck even though I have a chambered mahogany body.

DSC_0004-1-3-1.jpg

That is sharp!!! I've never tried one of their conversion necks, but have used their necks and bodies on a couple guitars in the past. Never had any issues, and the necks felt and played great.

Archived