Gibson Brands Forums

The Epi G-400 Les Paul Custom

ESPJDR17

That looks killer, Paul! Very, very nice! Did yours come with a case? It doesn't say one way or another on any website's description?

Thanks JD.

Yeah she's a beaut,a Limited Edition and definitely a keeper. However she didn't come with a case, I ordered a genuine HC with the plush interior and Epiphone logo on top.

The 'White Devil' fits perfectly. 'Snug as a bug in a rug.' [thumbup]

Hardly any Epi's come with a case. Terrible shame, especially when you buy a model in the

upper range , you'd expect to get a HC with it. [-( (I hope Epi 1 is reading this.)

The Epi Cases are IMHO, as good as the Gibson ones and, less than half the price.

Solid value! All my Epi's are kept in genuine Epi Hardcases.

Cheers

Paul

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks JD.

Yeah she's a beaut,a Limited Edition and definitely a keeper. However she didn't come with a case, I ordered a genuine HC with the plush interior and Epiphone logo on top.

The 'White Devil' fits perfectly. 'Snug as a bug in a rug.' [thumbup]

Hardly any Epi's come with a case. Terrible shame, especially when you buy a model in the

upper range , you'd expect to get a HC with it. [-( (I hope Epi 1 is reading this.)

The Epi Cases are IMHO, as good as the Gibson ones and, less than half the price.

Solid value! All my Epi's are kept in genuine Epi Hardcases.

Cheers

Paul

Ok, good to know! I saw the Epi LPC & LPC Pro Ebony come w/ HC cases. They are the ones that are $600. Maybe that is the magic price range for them to come w/ cases.

How do you think it will handle the real heavy strings that I want to put on it? Probably have to raise the bridge. Hopefully I don't have to take the nut off and shim it or adjust the truss rod. :unsure:

Ok, good to know! I saw the Epi LPC & LPC Pro Ebony come w/ HC cases. They are the ones that are $600. Maybe that is the magic price range for them to come w/ cases.

How do you think it will handle the real heavy strings that I want to put on it? Probably have to raise the bridge. Hopefully I don't have to take the nut off and shim it or adjust the truss rod. :unsure:

Be careful you don't bow the neck putting such heavy strings on.

Personally I wouldn't go heavier than 11-60. Still, I would have to re-adjust the truss rod,

the intonation and very likely give the nut some very, close attention.

Be careful mate. :unsure:

Paul

Be careful you don't bow the neck putting such heavy strings on.

Personally I wouldn't go heavier than 11-60. Still, I would have to re-adjust the truss rod,

the intonation and very likely give the nut some very, close attention.

Be careful mate. :unsure:

Paul

Thanks for the caution, Paul. I'm going to have this guitar in C#, so I don't think I have to worry about too much tension on the neck. Just maybe some attention to the bridge, maybe. :unsure:

Strings in the DR XX-Heavy set are: 12,16,20,38,52,60 [scared]

Ok, I ordered the G-400 Custom yesterday! Man I got a good deal on AMS !!

Now I wait. They're on a limited supply of what they're getting in. I know I got mine preordered and that's all that matters. To me anyways. [tongue]

Can anyone shed some light on this? There's some discrepancy about what the 3-way toggle does on the G-400CST, some say that each p/u has it's own switch position and some say that the middle toggle position is all three p/u's on together. Idk what to believe!

Now I wait. They're on a limited supply of what they're getting in. I know I got mine preordered and that's all that matters. To me anyways. [tongue]

Can anyone shed some light on this? There's some discrepancy about what the 3-way toggle does on the G-400CST, some say that each p/u has it's own switch position and some say that the middle toggle position is all three p/u's on together. Idk what to believe!

I can only tell you how my G400 C works.

Switch up/ neck pup

Switch middle/ neck, middle, bridge pup

Switch down/ bridge pup

3 volume controls, 1 for each pick-up. you can only have the middle pup completely off by

turning the middle volume down.

You have multiple combinations by utilizing your volume controls.

Cheers

Paul

I can only tell you how my G400 C works.

Switch up/ neck pup

Switch middle/ neck, middle, bridge pup

Switch down/ bridge pup

3 volume controls, 1 for each pick-up. you can only have the middle pup completely off by

turning the middle volume down.

You have multiple combinations by utilizing your volume controls.

Cheers

Paul

Ok, so the middle position is all three p/u's? Interesting. So the only way to shut off the middle is to turn the middle vol. off? What about the treble or rhythm position? Wouldn't those be single p/u selections? This is what I mean, lots of speculation. [biggrin]

Ok, so the middle position is all three p/u's? Interesting. So the only way to shut off the middle is to turn the middle vol. off? What about the treble or rhythm position? Wouldn't those be single p/u selections? This is what I mean, lots of speculation. [biggrin]

Switch Up and Switch Down are essentially the Rhythm and Treble positions in Paul's response.

Yeah, it's a bit much to explain so it's best to just try it out for yourself.

I generally, only use the middle pup when I play clean tones. Whether in conjunction with the

neck or bridge pup.

I don't use the middle pup when I play in the gain channel. It tends to get a bit muddy to my ears.

Then again I've put Burstbucker pro's in the bridge and neck so they're much more sparkly now.

Ultimately you'll just have to adjust your sound to your own taste. [rolleyes]

Good luck buddy. [thumbup]

Paul

If the middle pickup's volume is up, it's on regardless of the switch position. If you want the neck or bridge pickups individually or together, turn down the middle pickup and use the pickup selector just like on a 2-pickup guitar. For the middle pickup by itself, turn the neck and bridge volumes down. For combinations using the middle pickup use all three volumes to mix to taste--neck and middle=switch up; all three=switch in the middle; middle and bridge=switch down. Note that the middle pickup isn't wired up to the switch at all, just to its volume control. It's a little fiddly, but I like it a lot better than the old Gibson 3-pickup wiring, and it still looks stock.

If the middle pickup's volume is up, it's on regardless of the switch position. If you want the neck or bridge pickups individually or together, turn down the middle pickup and use the pickup selector just like on a 2-pickup guitar. For the middle pickup by itself, turn the neck and bridge volumes down. For combinations using the middle pickup use all three volumes to mix to taste--neck and middle=switch up; all three=switch in the middle; middle and bridge=switch down. Note that the middle pickup isn't wired up to the switch at all, just to its volume control. It's a little fiddly, but I like it a lot better than the old Gibson 3-pickup wiring, and it still looks stock.

Good explanation br0. I appreciate the info! Makes sense now that the mid p/u is wired only to the tone and it's vol.

You gonna love it JD!! I've had mine for 4 years now and, like the others who have

one will tell you, they are an awesome little beast to play.

My only criticism is the pickups, change 'em and she'll give any Gibson SG a run for

the money.

2 pics of my Custom with BB pro's installed.

cimg1168f.jpg

I have one of these too. Love them maestros! Gotta be one of the world's most beautiful electrics. I'm so glad Epi did a run of these.

I put a few Duncans in mine: a C5 (with an UOA5 magnet) in the bridge, a Phat Cat P-90 in the middle (with twin A4 magnets), and a '59N in the neck. I rewired with 3 push-pulls and a blend pot, so I get about 30 combinations of HB, coil cut, and phase.

I've said it many times here before...

Those LP(SG)Cs have 'Instant Mojo' [thumbup]

Heya Stuart.

If you could only see the grin on my face every time I pick this baby up and play. [biggrin]

What a fabulous guitar!

Worth all the time I spent doing the mods. [thumbup]

Cheers

Paul

If I wanted to change out the tuners what ones would fit? Is there like some gold Sperzel locking tuners? Or would those require modification to the headstock holes?

The standard tuner hole size on Epis is 8mm, hope that helps.

How about cables? Does anyone use 90degree ends when they play an SG or isn't it a big deal having the straight cable end sticking right out the top of the guitar? This will be my first SG, just trying to visualize how it'll be. :rolleyes:

How about cables? Does anyone use 90degree ends when they play an SG or isn't it a big deal having the straight cable end sticking right out the top of the guitar? This will be my first SG, just trying to visualize how it'll be. :rolleyes:

Hi JD.

I've been using SG's for years and as long as I have good quality leads and cables, right angle or otherwise, makes no significant difference.

It's all up to you and your personal preference.

Cheers

Paul

Hi JD.

I've been using SG's for years and as long as I have good quality leads and cables, right angle or otherwise, makes no significant difference.

It's all up to you and your personal preference.

Cheers

Paul

Alright Paul thanks, it ships in 9 days (hopefully) I can't wait!!

Well, my indecisive behavior struck again. AMS pushed the ship date back because Epiphone won't have the new G-400's on time so I cancelled it and ordered a Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro in Ebony w/ gold hardware. :o It's sooo sexy. :D

Archived