Gibson Brands Forums

johnny a finish stained

modern image

hi,

my johnny a trans black has some areas fo finish that have finish staining from normal playing.

could be sweaty shirt, or laundry detergent residue shirt,

cloudy stain over finish got worse with gibson luthier's choice polish.

is there any sure way to get rid of it?

Sounds like moisture in the wax and/or finish as mentioned above. Clean it with Naphtha (lighter fluid), let it dry completely and then use your Gibson polish again if the room humility is not too high.

Sounds like moisture in the wax and/or finish as mentioned above. Clean it with Naphtha (lighter fluid), let it dry completely and then use your Gibson polish again if the room humility is not too high.

lighter fluid won't harm the nitro finish?

Guest tracy71

what [confused] [confused] [confused]g.gif

thanks, as i mentioned in a below reply. i have never used lighter fluid on a guitar. should i just try a small area first to make sure it has no negative reaction?

thanks, as i mentioned in a below reply. i have never used lighter fluid on a guitar. should i just try a small area first to make sure it has no negative reaction?

I would use a small amount of Naphtha as some lighter fluids may contain additives. Naphtha is also used in the "dry cleaning" industry. I got the advice to use Naphtha from the Custom Shop 10 years ago and have used it to clean my guitars with no damage. Put it on a clean cotton cloth and do not pour it directly on the guitar. Let the guitar air dry for a while and then use your polish.

Naptha is an industrial solvent/cleaner available at any Home Depot or Lowes in the US. Like CR9 says, it is the safe solvent to use on a nitro finish, but use it sparingly by putting it on a clean cotton cloth, not straight onto the guitar.

As has been mentioned before, it is the primary component in many lighter fluids, but the safest approach is to use the solvent labeled "Naptha" on the can. After it dries thoroughly, you may find it advantageous to use Virtuoso Cleaner--sparingly, once again on a clean cotton cloth--followed by a conventional polish not containing silicone.

I personally use Virtusos Cleaner, followed by Virtuoso Polish. It works a treat on this problem, which is the common result of an arm or shirt contaminated with sweat, deodorant, creams, or body grime coming in contact with the guitar. It's the reason I play wearing a long-sleeved cotton T-shirt.

Archived