Gibson Brands Forums

Do you like exotic woods for an acoustic?

pfox14

Wow, all Koa including the top. I didn't know Gibson ever made these. Any pix you can post?

we had an all koa (top too) songwriter deluxe a couple of years ago. the guy that bought it loved it, but to me it was just too muffled. different strokes, different folks.

Hey Paul,

Nice looking wood you posted. I'd have to go with the idea of quartered backs, but would probably have no distinct difference in sound that my tin ear could pick up. I have played guitars with that wood and they were excellent- but they were dreads.

What size are you building?

I'd explore Koa, Bubinga, SE Asia Rosewood (I think that's the name- at LMII), and some of the "other" rosewoods, I.e. Honduran. Cocobolo is in there, too but can raise health issues- there are builders who just don't use it. I played a J-45 with Bubinga B&S a while back and it was a great sounding guitar. Also played an all Koa J-45 that was very nice, too.

I'm the world's slowest builder. I have the rims and back done on a Bubinga J-45. I'll probably go with Lutz on top. Plan on bracing it the same as my Jubal Jumbo- three tone bars, all scalloped bracing.

What are you using for the top?

BTW, Weissenbor made some terrific parolrs from Koa. I haven't played one, but a friend tells me they are spectacular.

Life's a bunch of choices, ain't it? [biggrin]

willy

Hey Paul,

Nice looking wood you posted. I'd have to go with the idea of quartered backs, but would probably have no distinct difference in sound that my tin ear could pick up. I have played guitars with that wood and they were excellent- but they were dreads.

What size are you building?

I'd explore Koa, Bubinga, SE Asia Rosewood (I think that's the name- at LMII), and some of the "other" rosewoods, I.e. Honduran. Cocobolo is in there, too but can raise health issues- there are builders who just don't use it. I played a J-45 with Bubinga B&S a while back and it was a great sounding guitar. Also played an all Koa J-45 that was very nice, too.

I'm the world's slowest builder. I have the rims and back done on a Bubinga J-45. I'll probably go with Lutz on top. Plan on bracing it the same as my Jubal Jumbo- three tone bars, all scalloped bracing.

What are you using for the top?

BTW, Weissenbor made some terrific parolrs from Koa. I haven't played one, but a friend tells me they are spectacular.

Life's a bunch of choices, ain't it? [biggrin]

willy

I have some Bubinga, but it's not a great set. Sides have a knot in them. Was a fairly cheap set, so no biggy. I am planning on building an L-00 size guitar with an Adirondack spruce top (right now I'm only using Adi tops). I have a bid in on the Pau Ferro set & hope I get it. I think it's really beautiful wood and should make a nice guitar. I guess I'm just a little bored with doing mahogany & RW all the time. Maybe it won't be to everyone's liking, but want to try something different. I was also considering SE Asian RW - love the dark color. I use it for my PH veneers instead of ebony, which is getting really expensive.

My luthier plans to build for me a DADGAD fingerstile guitar jumbo size body, spruce top and sapele back & sides. He will start this instrument in march 2013 (if God wishes so ;-). The pickup we plan to put inside "K&K Trinity". My luthier has a very old (more than 25 years) sapele plank. Hope I'll post some pictures in october 2013rolleyes.gif

My luthier plans to build for me a DADGAD fingerstile guitar jumbo size body, spruce top and sapele back & sides. He will start this instrument in march 2013 (if God wishes so ;-). The pickup we plan to put inside "K&K Trinity". My luthier has a very old (more than 25 years) sapele plank. Hope I'll post some pictures in october 2013rolleyes.gif

WOW! That's a long time to wait, but sounds like it will be worth it. I like Sapele mahogany. Very pretty wood.

John, that's a really pretty little guitar. Bet it sounds wonderful

Thanks, Paul,. You ought to stop inand play it. It's a lovely little thing with ebony bindings and Sitka top that TE just loves.

My link

Paul,

that's a link to a used "Maui Wowie" custom K2 J-45. They built 'em in 2006. It's sold for $1999. The one I played in Chicago Music Exchange about 4 years ago was less than that if I remember correctly. Sounded very good, much like Hogeye's post. Very "warm" from what I remember.

willy

My link

Paul,

that's a link to a used "Maui Wowie" custom K2 J-45. They built 'em in 2006. It's sold for $1999. The one I played in Chicago Music Exchange about 4 years ago was less than that if I remember correctly. Sounded very good, much like Hogeye's post. Very "warm" from what I remember.

willy

The link didn't work for me. Can you PM me?

Wow, all Koa including the top. I didn't know Gibson ever made these. Any pix you can post?

I won't be back that way for a while but if it's still there I will try to get some photos. This is a nice piece and it will probably be sold by the time I get back. As posted the Maui Wowie came much later.

I did wind up getting the Pau Ferro set off eBay. Slightly different set then previously pictured. I think I'll join the two outer edges of the back pieces, so the more quarter-sawn section is at the center line. Check it out. I'll update this thread or start a new one, when I'm building the guitar so you can see the progress.

$(KGrHqZHJCoE9rUqLt14BPchsw6vhg~~60_57.JPG

Pretty stuff, Paul. I like the idea of flipping those back halves around.

Are you going to use wood bindings and purflings?

Yes, I plan on doing flamed maple bindings with B/W purfling. I might even do a herringbone purfling as well. I'm also going to an ebony FB bound in maple and matching bridge. I want it to be special. Should look awesome.

Archived