Gibson Brands Forums

Routing Les Paul for Alnico 2 Pros

Hello all,

I am looking at replacing the P-90s in my 1960s tribute les paul with Alnico 2 Pros. Looking to get a fatter sound while still keeping an awesome high end. Also I like the hum canceling. Only problem is I would have to go through some routing in order for them to be installed.

Here's a pic

post-42271-009023600 1333162277_thumb.jpg

What kind of process is routing? How is it done and are there any negative side effects?

Any and all help would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!

I think the first thing to think about is that the routing is irreversible and may lower the value of your guitar should you go to sell it later.

Have you thought about trying some mini humbuckers first?

I think you might make an argument either way in this case, given that it's an almost new guitar. If it were vintage or even approaching what some MIGHT call vintage, I'd say don't do it. If you like the sound of the guitar but not the pickups, changing the pickups can make sense, even with the routing. Yes, it's irreversible but you've not made something no one will want and the amount of material routed out isn't likely to change the sound of the guitar appreciably.

There is also the COST of routing the guitar.

It is not really a job for the average DIY. The rings for the humbuckers would BARELY cover the holes. You also have to add a little wood for the rings to mount to.

It's a real easy job to mess up. If you have the skills and know what you are getting into, it will take some time and more than just taking a router to it.

If you find someone who will do it, and is competent and can do it RIGHT, I think it would be cheaper to sell the guitar and buy one with the pups you want. For the cost of the pups and the mod work, you might be able to buy a whole new guitar.

There is also the COST of routing the guitar.

It is not really a job for the average DIY. The rings for the humbuckers would BARELY cover the holes. You also have to add a little wood for the rings to mount to.

It's a real easy job to mess up. If you have the skills and know what you are getting into, it will take some time and more than just taking a router to it.

If you find someone who will do it, and is competent and can do it RIGHT, I think it would be cheaper to sell the guitar and buy one with the pups you want. For the cost of the pups and the mod work, you might be able to buy a whole new guitar.

True.

I don't rule out routing it for humbuckers. I just wouldn't start off there.

I didn't mean to put words in your mouth. I have seen too many hack-jobs on perfectly good guitars that it makes me nervous when people start talking about routing.

I believe that there is a perfectly good guitar already built for every tonal desire.. [biggrin]

• 2 weeks later...

I had a luthier take a router to one of my axes once. He was a reasonably good repair guy, but he dorked up the routing something serious. He tried to repair it, but, it was never right again. I got over it and all but I vowed I would never do that again. If you don't like the p90s (I love them!) I would find a bucker to fit.

I had a luthier take a router to one of my axes once. He was a reasonably good repair guy, but he dorked up the routing something serious. He tried to repair it, but, it was never right again. I got over it and all but I vowed I would never do that again. If you don't like the p90s (I love them!) I would find a bucker to fit.

ROUTING a guitar body is permanent.....Any repair is just that...a repair [crying]

Archived