Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 339

KDRR

I haven`t posted in awhile but I posted before about owning a Gibson 339 from 2007, that guitar ended up with a crack in the (from the back) upper right horn. Gibson couldn`t fix it so they gave me a new 2011 (May) one. A better guitar but my fingers would slide off the fretboard and there were some tuning issues. I took it to my guitar guy he looked at the nut and said you have spacing problems on the nut. Gibson cut the nut wrong. He put a new bone nut on there and now I`m off to the races.

My 339 is becoming my main guitar. I have a Strat and aTele but thats what everyone else plays. The 339 is what I play.I`m a Beatle guy and I know all their songs, I use to own a Gretch Tenneeseean but this 339 is a supeiour guitar. Excuse my spelling.

The 339 seems to have caught on with a lot of players...a very versatile guitar covering many styles

Personally I like the 335 and 137 for their 'bigger' approach to the 'semi' theme

And the Gretsch Tennessean (at times played by George Harrison and David Bowie) is a piece of history, with great tones to match...

V

:-({|=

The 339 seems to have caught on with a lot of players...a very versatile guitar covering many styles

Personally I like the 335 and 137 for their 'bigger' approach to the 'semi' theme

And the Gretsch Tennessean (at times played by George Harrison and David Bowie) is a piece of history, with great tones to match...

V

:-({|=

Your right about the Gretsch Tennessean , my Grandmother bought that guitar for me in Nov of 66, she payed $325 for it and $325 for a 66 Fender Vibrolux. The Gretsch Tennessean was slole in 76. Oh well , the 339 is a much more versatile guitar.

It seems to me that the issue, which sounds to be on the vast majority of 339's, isn't so much string spacing at the nut but the angle Gibson files the fret ends. The E strings can roll off the edge of the fretboard easily but it isn't too hard to adjust to this as you play the guitar more. A bit annoying at first and everyone has the same initial reaction when they play it. Such a great guitar. Enjoy yours.

It seems to me that the issue, which sounds to be on the vast majority of 339's, isn't so much string spacing at the nut but the angle Gibson files the fret ends. The E strings can roll off the edge of the fretboard easily but it isn't too hard to adjust to this as you play the guitar more. A bit annoying at first and everyone has the same initial reaction when they play it. Such a great guitar. Enjoy yours.

That could be true . It`s just my guitar tech noticed the spacing on the nut seemed off. Now there is a bone nut on there with correct spacing and the E string isn`t falling off the fretboard anymore and I haven`t change my style of playing.

Archived