Gibson Brands Forums

Elitist Broadway for sale

Roosto7

how different are these from a byrdland? yes, the scale and the depth. some aesthetics. but would one be (kind of) redundant if you had the other? do they sound similar enough?

Scale and depth. My avatar is Chuck Berry's Gibson 350T, similar to an Elitist Byrdland. I have a Peerless Broadway. I would love to have a Byrdland as well. I never played a Byrdland, but I imagine the Broadway has a big jazz box sound, the Byrdland perhaps not so much. Here's a guy, perhaps a member of this Forum, who has an incredible collection which includes both Broadway and Byrdland-

picture116x.jpg

1333388232[/url]' post='1168041']

Scale and depth. My avatar is Chuck Berry's Gibson Byrdland. I have a Peerless Broadway. I would love to have a Byrdland as well. I never played a Byrdland, but I imagine the Broadway has a big jazz box sound, the Byrdland perhaps not so much. Here's a guy, perhaps a member of this Forum, who has an incredible collection which includes both Broadway and Byrdland-

picture116x.jpg

Great looking collection Roosto! Very classy!

Here's a guy, perhaps a member of this Forum, who has an incredible collection which includes both Broadway and Byrdland-

picture116x.jpg

I'm thinking they belong to Svet, but I could be wrong, although he's the only guy on the forum who owns at least one of everything! [laugh]

We await your thoughts, red. If you could compare the two I'd be much obliged. More concerned with the inherent differences and not the electronics so much. Thanks.

I thought Roosto7 did a good job describing the difference between the two. The Byrd has more bite than the Broadway, due to its thinner body. It can get you into solid-body territory, which is one of the reasons a guy like Ted Nugent can use one.

Playability is another huge difference. Unless you've had your hands on one, you can't imaging the difference in scale. The Byrd was designed to make finger-twisting "jazz chords" easier to play, and it does. Many fingerings that would be a stretch for those of us with less than spider-like fingers can be played easily on the Byrd. Some might find the nut too narrow, though.

I think the neck is a tad flatter on the Byrd, too. That's my impression anyway. In any case, the difference is slight.

The Elitists are great instruments. If you get the chance to get one, do so. Their quality is really exceptional. That said, the standard issue Broadway is very nice, I think. I have one of those, too (it's on the top row of that picture of my hollow bodies). It's very well made, and sounds great (though different from the Elitist, as it has different pups, a laminated top, and other differences). I think it's an insanely good value, if you're in the market for a full body hollowbody.

Let me know if there's other specific things you want to know about either, and I'll do my best to answer.

Red 333

Is the Byrdland for sale? Red, send me an email.

Sorry, Roosto7. Not for sale a this time. I'll keep you in mind, though, if I ever decide to sell. I hope you have good luck finding one--they are certainly worth seeking out.

Red 333

Archived