Gibson Brands Forums

Best Es-345 ever produced?

TinyBabyBrandon

So a friend of mine works at this place called the Los Angeles Guitar Shop. I was perusing their website when I happened on this amazing es-345. It's a 1960 with a late 59 neck profile and a bookmatched flame top. It is a pretty darn glorious example, that's for sure, but $38 g's?! Good lord! I wonder what Charlie (335 blog) would say about it. It's worth a look though y'all, it's completely gorgeous, but amazing top or not, almost 40g's for a 345 in this market? what do you say? Also could it really be a one of a kind. To be honest I've never seen a book matched top on any ES.

http://los-angeles-guitar-shop.com/1960-gibson-es-345/

The 'collector's' universe is different from all the other guitar shopper population and if you don't worry about 10 grand here or there you're in position to speculate and buy. There are lots of people that can handle that stratus. The question is, are you buying a guitar at market value and will it rise in value. Thousands of ES Gibsons sound quite the same as one another, so for the player there's a s'load of options.

Whoa. Vintage guitars in this kind of condition worry me. But if it's real and sounds good ... truly mint iconic guitars often defy "normal" pricing.

Says it's a one-owner guitar ... would be interesting to talk with the original owner about it.

Asking price is high even for a '60 stoptail SB ES-345 with '59 stoptail SB ES-345 features, case, and candy. If this guitar was a natural finish '60 stoptail ES-345 that would better support price.

So a friend of mine works at this place called the Los Angeles Guitar Shop. I was perusing their website when I happened on this amazing es-345. It's a 1960 with a late 59 neck profile and a bookmatched flame top. It is a pretty darn glorious example, that's for sure, but $38 g's?! Good lord! I wonder what Charlie (335 blog) would say about it. It's worth a look though y'all, it's completely gorgeous, but amazing top or not, almost 40g's for a 345 in this market? what do you say? Also could it really be a one of a kind. To be honest I've never seen a book matched top on any ES.

http://los-angeles-g...-gibson-es-345/

Actually, I take that back, I have seen some book matched ES's, I believe I've seen some ES-5's like that, but I don't recall ever seeing one on a 3x5. Anyway, it is a real time capsule type instrument, that's for sure. They have the original receipt from when it was purchased at Ernie Ball's music store waaaaay back. That's always a pretty cool element to have and it contextualizes the guitar a bit, and I do believe it was a one owner until they got their hands on it. I wonder if it was just really babied or if it never got played. I'm sure it sounds great, but if it hasn't been played for 50 some odd years, it probably wouldn't sound as good as a more worn in 345, but I think that's besides the point here, this is a guitar clearly for the collector and not the player. Just imagine how terrible it would be ding that guitar. Ouch! Regardless that is one beautiful guit-fiddle. I might take a little ride over there this weekend and see if I can see it person!!! If I do I'll try and get some more pics.

It seems to me that the term "bookmatched" is often used pretty loosely, if not erroneously. In this case, I'm seeing a very nice maple top on a model where this was not too common. It's a gorgeous 345. However, I'm not seeing "bookmatched" maple, which involves a left/right "mirror" effect.

1960GibsonES345001.jpg

Archived