Gibson Brands Forums

Help a brother out!

poopcicle

Hey everyone, I am relatively new to using tube amps. I am just making my first pedal board and so far like my guitars and amps I have been totally OCD so here is what I have: MXR dynacomp, custom badass overdrive, micro chorus, script phase 90 and a carbon copy analog delay. I am using at home a single channel 20 w Jet City 2112 1x 12 combo and matching 1 x12 extension cab with no loop and for practice/shows a Jet City 20w dual Channel 22h head and matching 2x12 cab, this does have a loop. My question to you fine folks is ...... Is there an order I should run my pedals in to get the best results ( ie any rules of thumb) ? and can I use the same order with both amps? thanks for any and all help! [thumbup]

Hey everyone, I am relatively new to using tube amps. I am just making my first pedal board and so far like my guitars and amps I have been totally OCD so here is what I have: MXR dynacomp, custom badass overdrive, micro chorus, script phase 90 and a carbon copy analog delay. I am using at home a single channel 20 w Jet City 2112 1x 12 combo and matching 1 x12 extension cab with no loop and for practice/shows a Jet City 20w dual Channel 22h head and matching 2x12 cab, this does have a loop. My question to you fine folks is ...... Is there an order I should run my pedals in to get the best results ( ie any rules of thumb) ? and can I use the same order with both amps? thanks for any and all help! [thumbup]

IMHO, O.D., phase, chorus, comp..............Comps have a habit of introducing noise, so, they usually go at the end........

Yes, you can run these the same way in both amps.....Your JC22 has a solid state "serial" effect loop........

You can try running your overdrive and comp in front of the amp, and the modulation effects through the loop, ie,

your phase, chorus, delay.......The loop inserts the effects AFTER the tube preamp section, and BEFORE the amp's power tubes,

which, in theory, and usually in real life, gives you a better tone from your modulation effects........Try it both ways, as different

amps build their loops differently, etc etc..........

I'd be inclined to try the compressor first rather than last - the reason being that when you incease the makeup gain you also increase the noise floor of your signal, which will be masked when you're playing loudly but obvious in quiter moments. Additional pedals and long cable runs add to your noise floor anyway, so boosting the signal as early as possible after the source limits the problem.

That said, there's no absolute right and wrong with pedal order. You may find another pedal in the chain works better with the compressor after it. Answer is, try both and see how you like it.

Thanks guys! So far just messing around I feel I am getting the best tonal result with the comp first the od second and the chorus and phaser in the middle with the delay at the end!It's hard to tell standing right on top of it in my bedroom! :) I will have to delve into the link Rastus put up and see what I can glean!

A general rule of thumb is the effects that alter the signal the most should go towards the end of the chain, the ones that affect it least at the start.

You have to consider that the altered signal coming out of one pedal is going into the next.

I'd be inclined to try the compressor first rather than last - the reason being that when you incease the makeup gain you also increase the noise floor of your signal, which will be masked when you're playing loudly but obvious in quiter moments. Additional pedals and long cable runs add to your noise floor anyway, so boosting the signal as early as possible after the source limits the problem.

That said, there's no absolute right and wrong with pedal order. You may find another pedal in the chain works better with the compressor after it. Answer is, try both and see how you like it.

y

Jay, welcome here........Yeah, I was going to mod my post......never been much of a comp pedal user, and a comp first or early on

really is the norm; I've known some players with small boards using it last......Thanks for pointing that out...........

Then there's the whole "True Bypass" vs non bypass / buffered mess of info..........:rolleyes: :unsure: [blush] .........

Thanks Damian, and I've no doubt in some set ups compressor last will work best. I don't really use compression as a live effect but I have a mostly analogue recording set up and compressing signals that have already passed through other outboard gear, not to mention tape, can create a horrendous amount of hiss, so it makes sense that a similar situation would occur on a pedal board.

On the line 6 toneport it usually gives a default order but then you can change the order of pedals and in that you can hear big differences. So to a certain degree it's personal preference of what you want to hear.

The line 6 interface can be seen in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76srSLBxBmI&feature=plcp&context=C4472d29VDvjVQa1PpcFN233jgQkGsWAKwdOKvtUsxfEaIioZhDA4%3D

Archived