Gibson Brands Forums

Comment on modeling guitars

RudyH

I really like my Variax, and I believe it is a fine guitar with a solid place in the market. Comparing its modeled sounds to the real guitars however is like comparing the sound of a cheap upright piano to the sound of a Steinway concert grand. There's a huge difference in the quality of the sound. This is provided that the guitar is played through an amp without a lot of effects. If I were using effects I don't think it would matter much what guitar I played as long as it had a fair amount of sustain.

I also play an American Stratocaster and an ES335 and the difference in sound quality is quite remarkable vis a vis a top of the line Variax.

I think modeling - guitars, amps and so on - have their purpose. If I were playing in a cover band where I needed a lot of different sounds, I'd go with modeling. Beyond that limited scope, I think they'd still be interesting to work with to come up with different sound that aren't achievable with traditional guitars. I look at it as a matter of picking the right tool for the job.

I can't stand either the guitars or the amps. But I worked with a guy that loved both up until last week.

I am all tube (even rectifier) and all ES-339.

P.S. He got so frustrated trying to get a good tone, he just quit......

Murph.

Archived