Gibson Brands Forums

Blackface

WahKeen

Fender amps are greatly under appreciated by rock guitarists.

Well, the amp at hand is not really comparable to a rocker's Marshall, now is it? Some rockers do use them, but they're no M's or such.

Rowdy, I get ya. That's something of a preference, yep. I could live w it. I'd love this amp for that open, airy blues sound. Mmmm

Opened this thread hoping we were talking amps and not makeup... [scared]

I owned two blackface Super Reverbs in the past (when I had a huge collection of vintage amps), A '64 and a '63 (the first year for them). Fantastic amps, but really just plain too loud for me to wring them out. Sold one cheap to a good friend who badly needed a good amp (and I'd bought it very cheap also). The other went as I sold off the collection after going broke. It's not the ONE of that bunch I wish I had back first, but it was an uber cool amp!

My living situation obviously had changed much at that point. When I was a teenager, I got away with playing 50 and 100 watt Marshalls fully cranked. In my (converted shop) room. Will somebody please answer that bell? [tongue]

ETA: BTW, my current favorite amp is probably my '65 DRRI, a really good amp for what it is. Not the real deal by any means, but as the cliche' says, "Close enough for Rock & Roll". Love it (going for a '59 Bassman Ltd. reissue later this year I hope though).

Well there is a Fender Blackface that comes close to bridging the gain gap between Fender and Marshall. Unfortunately it has also been discontinued. I am referring to the Twin Pro which is just a monster of combo amp! It's simple to bias, built like a tank, comes with casters, has built in reverb and vibrato, phenomenal tone in clean or distorted and even has a toggle switch to alternate 25 or100 watts! I love that amp!

Picture756.jpg

Archived