Gibson Brands Forums

Boss vs Ibanez adapter

deepblue

Guys...

I just bought an Ibanez Tube Screamer. The TS 808 model.

Its true what they say. Except no imitations. This is the bad boy of Tube Screamers.

I have one question.

Can I use a Boss adapter to power it up?

The Boss is DC 9.6v 200mA

The Ibanez adapter that I do NOT have is DC 9v 200mA

Will that .6v difference fry my pedal, or will I be ok?

...I think it should work fine, mine does, I haven't used that pedal in ages tho... (...runs scared to see if something has happened...)

I see a strange pattern here blue... a couple of weeks ago we were talking about tube screamers in the forum and now you have one...

Are we by any chance causing you uncontrolable GAS? ('cause the rest of you are causing ME uncontrolable GAS... I can't bear it anymore!!!)

ongrats on your new toy man, and how does the Orange respond to it so far?

The extra .6 volts won't make a bit of difference, particularly with an overdrive effect. Either adapter will work; the main concern is that you want to be at the recommended voltage (most pedals are fine with a little more and some prefer it - see next paragraph) and that it's a DC adapter and not AC (I have a few that take AC so I'm pretty mindful of that). The only other concern is that the adapter can provide enough amperage for the effect (more is always fine); with stomp boxes, amperage is usually only a factor if you're using one to power several pedals.

One of my pedals is an Analogman Chorus and it has a bit more headroom and sounds a little more... "airy" (?) when run with a 12v adapter. This is sometimes true with time based effects depending on the chips used.

Archived