Gibson Brands Forums

Swapping gear

mpdive

I have a 71 ES-325 walnut in excellent condition that I want to sell. I live in South Carolina. I found a guy in Denver looking for this exact guitar who happens to have the Martin acoustic I want and was willing to swap. How in the heck can we create a safe transaction doing this? Has anyone ever been up against these circumstances before? Any help would be great.....I am lost how this can be done.....

No guarantees on two-way honesty. I've been lucky with private guitar transaction but had a close call or two. If they (and you) are Ebayers you can look at feedback scores. Still no guarantee. His acoustic might not be in as good a condition, so pics have to be exchanged. Phone rapport should be part of it too. You may get a good or bad feel talking it over. Same (both of you send same coordinated time) day shipping and track #s tells you that at least something got put in the mail, but you can see if one party is dead set on a rip-off it'll be trouble. It's all gut feeling in the end.

ding, ding, ding ... there's no practical or affordable way to remove all the risk. Call the guy on the phone and talk it over for a while., ask questions. Surely, he has some as well.

Then what's your gut feeling?

After your talk then decide if you want to pull the trigger ... or not.

If you do the deal, be sure both of you pack your guitars properly ... don't cut corners.

Hop in the car and meet the guy for lunch in St.Louis. Couple hundred bucks in gas and sundries will buy alot of piece of mind, and if the trade fizzles, you can always stop in Nashvile on the way back and shop for a deal. Just a thought.

• 1 month later...

Archived