Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Texan, video comparison

Hi guys, here are two Texans, one my 62 and the other a recently acquired Terada made 2004 non Macca reissue. Both are set up the same with "Gibson Masterbuilt PB-12 strings".

The 2004 is a wonderfully built guitar, is effortless to play, and as light as a feather, in fact at 3Lb-8oz, it is the lightest acoustic I have ever held! It is way louder than the 62, but the 62 is so sweet, with a very punchy tone, and wonderful playability.

The recording was done with a cheap flip camera, and there are no sound affects at all, just played dry.

Anyway, see what you think, and who prefers which?

Steve.

Nice comparison, Steve. I'm going to watch a couple more times, because I notice you play both of those songs differently than I. Appropriate choices for a Texan comparo, though I think you should've included "Yesterday." :)

On my laptop, the recorded sound of both guitars was quite similar. The McCartney Texan had a bit more present mid-range, I would say. I don't doubt that there are very real differences the Flip/laptop combo just can't reproduce, though.

Glad you got the McCartney Texan setup to your liking finally. Your '62 sure is beauty.

GREAT post!

Red 333

Thanks Red, I was too lazy to tune them both down a tone for "Yesterday"!

It did come as a surprise to notice how similar they were, listening in front of the guitars, compared to being behind them (Playing position). I really am impressed with the build quality of the Terada, but it does have a very tight tone compared to the 62, although since the recording was made I have hand carved a "Corian" saddle replacement, which has mellowed it out a bit [biggrin] .

Steve.

nice video

I love that song!

Both guitars sounded very similar to my ears (I was listening through a cheap Toshiba laptop) - the 1962 was a bit less bright and more woody. 2 great looking and sounding guitars!

Dodger

...since the recording was made I have hand carved a "Corian" saddle replacement, which has mellowed it out a bit [biggrin] .

Steve.

Wow! You have skills! How about a close up of that once you get a chance?

Red 333

nice video

I love that song!

Both guitars sounded very similar to my ears (I was listening through a cheap Toshiba laptop) - the 1962 was a bit less bright and more woody. 2 great looking and sounding guitars!

Dodger

Thanks Dodger, I agree with you, the 62 is more woody and refined, but they are similar.

Steve.

Wow! You have skills! How about a close up of that once you get a chance?

Red 333

Hi Red,

Here are a couple of pics of the new Corian saddle in place, with the guitars original saddle for comparison. I used the original as a template, but just left it triangular on the top without the flanges. I think it looks good for a first attempt!

Texansaddle1.jpg

Texansaddle2.jpg

I have a piece of Corian which is about the size of a house brick, that I use for nuts and saddles etc. Normal saddles take about an hour to make, but this ADJ one took over three hours, what with my rudimentary tools.

Steve.

Here are a couple of pics of the new Corian saddle in place, with the guitars original saddle for comparison. I used the original as a template, but just left it triangular on the top without the flanges. I think it looks good for a first attempt!

Steve the saddle looks amazing!!! When you told me that you've made one I must admit I never expected something like this!!

Good Job - see you Wednesday about 7.30?

marcus

Hi Red,

I have a piece of Corian which is about the size of a house brick, that I use for nuts and saddles etc. Normal saddles take about an hour to make, but this ADJ one took over three hours, what with my rudimentary tools.

Steve.

That looks really great, Steve. Except that the corian saddle has a different color and reflectivity than the stock Tusq saddle, I would never have thought that was anything other than a factory original. Impressive work and results; your guitar sounds very good!

Red 333

Fun, fun fun.

To my ears the '62 had a more percussisve low end than the RI. The balance on both guitars seemed different although I am not sure how to put it in words.

And a really nice job on the saddle.

Thanks Zombywoof, I agree, the 62 has the better low end, particularly the low "E".

Steve.

Archived