Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Traditional Pro volume. Issue or Feature?

A student of mine has a very nice New Epiphone Traditional Pro. When the pickup selector is in the middle position (both pickups on), turning either volume knob to the full off position will turn the volume completely off for BOTH pickups. I have never seen this before and I would like to know if this indicates a wiring problem or if this is something that the factory did on purpose. Anybody else have this happen?

I've never seen this before Every two pickup guitar I've ever owned would simply turn off the pickup it was wired to, leaving the other on.

Which ones did you own?

That is the classic way of wiring Les Pauls from the 50's as opposed to the "modern" way involving 2 independant volume like most 2 pickups guitars are wired nowaday.

Some like it, some don't, I do and my Sheraton II also use that 50's way wiring.

That's how Epi's and all the imports I've played have been wired. I rewire all of mine to independent volume controls so I can blend the PU's.

You can blend it just the way it is and not have to rewire.

You can blend it just the way it is and not have to rewire.

Exactly, with the switch in the middle position the neck pickup volume acts as a master and the bridge pickup volume is used to blend.

Archived