Gibson Brands Forums

Laminated fretboards?

akadave

In theory. In a proper environment with balanced humidity and heat. Unfortunately, in the real world, glue joints fail. Even those put together by someone with a lifetime of experience. Beyond that, when it comes to wooden instruments (stringed and woodwinds), laminates are often considered less desirable material, and solid wood is generally preferred over laminates.

Let's stop for a moment: AFAIK, virtually ALL guitars made have some amount of glue joints in them; acoustics in particular have a lot! Given that mankind has produced millions of guitars with glue joints over many, many decades (and yes, a very small percentage may have had a problem) I fail to see why we need to panic over a laminated fretboard. You make it sound like the end of the world....

By the way, as a general principle laminates are usually more desirable than solid woods because they resist warpage much better.

.... By the way, as a general principle laminates are usually more desirable than solid woods because they resist warpage much better. ....

This is not about glue joints. It's about laminates (see the topic). It's also not about woodworking knowledge, woodworking sense, stability or strength. It's about perception. Take furniture - a free dinning room table is offered - pick a dinning room table made from plywood or a dinning room table made from solid wood. Apparently you would pick plywood while most of the rest of the world would pick solid wood.

Now guitars - Here's a thread on Epiphone's G-1275 double neck - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/47630-epi-g-1275-plywood/ Read it and check the comments about the plywood body. Then a member dumps his plywood Epi G-1275 and buys a Gibson EDS-1275 made with wood solids. See what I mean?

Despite it making no woodworking sense, as I commented before, there's no getting around the fact that instruments built with laminated wood (especially in the acoustic guitar market) are generally considered less desirable than instruments built with solid woods - especially on guitars costing upwards of $2K.

BTW, have you built any guitars out of plywood? . Of course there's always something -

311e1484-c587-4db7-9442-6470cddca041.jpg

Laminated pieces are not new. In fact, most archtops have been made out of laminated woods for 60 years. Laminated woods are much stronger and just look on the vintage market? You don't see a lot of vintage ES120's, 330, or 335 with cracked tops? Why? Their laminated. You'll see acoustic flat tops that have cracks.... Why? because they are solid tops.... Using a laminate on a fretboard or body is no big deal. Even the torred maple fretboards are nice. I've played several and I actually like the feel. They remind me of ebony...

I love Gibson guitars and own a few. I really want a new SG but this whole laminated Rosewood thing has me put off. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Will Gibson go back to non laminated fretboards anytime soon?

The idea is not new, I believe Gretsch used/tried it a few decades ago.

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone. I like hearing all the debate because it really does make you think about the whole concept of glueing fretboards and tone, stability,....ect. I have an interesting question I did not see on here to add to the fire ( lol ). What about treating the rosewood with oils like bore oil Or lemon oil ect ? Will that affect the glue under the first layer over time? if not, I really don't have a problem with it. I'm not in the market for a new Gibson right now but I don't have a problem with it. I wish Gibson could adjust their pricing alittle to compinsate for the change because I think for the most part it does bother people- at lead a little it seems. Not to rant, but they are able to keep some les pauls( not studios) with bindings and flamed tops in the $2000 range which 4 years ago was basically not heard of from Gibson. I think a laminated board with a 2-300 price decrease would sell more guitars and also make the consumer feel alittle better. I remember getting my first lea paul an by the second one I got I noticed that some had 2 piece backs and was kinda against it. Now they seem to be on every solid les paul. I hav three with solid backs( one historic) and one from 2010 (50's tribute studio) with a solid back which took me awhile to find.

Hey everyone. I like hearing all the debate because it really does make you think about the whole concept of glueing fretboards and tone, stability,....ect. I have an interesting question I did not see on here to add to the fire ( lol ). What about treating the rosewood with oils like bore oil Or lemon oil ect ? Will that affect the glue under the first layer over time? if not, I really don't have a problem with it. I'm not in the market for a new Gibson right now but I don't have a problem with it. I wish Gibson could adjust their pricing alittle to compinsate for the change because I think for the most part it does bother people- at least a little it seems. Not to rant, but they are able to keep some les pauls( not studios) with bindings and flamed tops in the $2000 range which 4 years ago was basically not heard of from Gibson. I think a laminated board with a 2-300 price decrease would sell more guitars and also make the consumer feel alittle better. I remember getting my first lea paul an by the second one I got I noticed that some had 2 piece backs and was kinda against it. Now they seem to be on every solid les paul. I hav three with solid backs( one historic) and one from 2010 (50's tribute studio) with a solid back which took me awhile to find.

Archived