Gibson Brands Forums

2010 ES-335 stock Grover Tuners (what model are they)

Angellus

Hi

im not too impressed with the stock Grovers on my ES-335 2010 model

Normally with specs Gibson has all the info on the website on the guitars profile however with the 335's information is limited

does anybody know what model Grovers they install on the 335's?

I like the look of the kidney bean buttons and would like to stay using Grovers but the ones I have installed are sloppy

I did a bit more research and whilst I am unable to find definitively what they are it does all lead to rotomatics 14:1

on the Grover website it says there should be a tension grub screw on them but I couldnt find this (perhaps these are the plain and simple OEM tuners?) I had a similiar set on my Schecter (sold that soulless guitar) and wasn't fond of them either.

Ok so knowing what I know I think I will try the Rotomatic 18:1's and see if that makes a difference

I don't actually have the answer, but I think the question might be is if there are "different" Grovers of the same type.

I see some on some pretty low cost guitars that LOOK just like any others, so I question if some are made cheaper in China, and some made of the same quality as the old ones.

I don't actually have the answer, but I think the question might be is if there are "different" Grovers of the same type.

I see some on some pretty low cost guitars that LOOK just like any others, so I question if some are made cheaper in China, and some made of the same quality as the old ones.

I think this may be the case. I'm going to upgrade them to the 18:1 ratio Rotomatics and see what happens from there.

best tuners I've used to date TonePros II Kluson Deluxe that come stock on the LP Trad. They have a higher gear ratio and better Nickel Plating than the Gibson Deluxe (Gotoh).

I think this may be the case. I'm going to upgrade them to the 18:1 ratio Rotomatics and see what happens from there.

best tuners I've used to date TonePros II Kluson Deluxe that come stock on the LP Trad. They have a higher gear ratio and better Nickel Plating than the Gibson Deluxe (Gotoh).

I have a 2006 es-335 that has Grover Rotomatics. I have not had any issues with them, but I am planning on changing them out to some tulip tuners like the ones on my '63 Reissue ES-335 for purely aesthetic reasons.

I have a 2006 es-335 that has Grover Rotomatics. I have not had any issues with them, but I am planning on changing them out to some tulip tuners like the ones on my '63 Reissue ES-335 for purely aesthetic reasons.

yeah i was thinking of doing the same I just didnt want to have to ream the holes to a larger diameter to be able to fit tonepro's klusons with tulips.

I know historically the 335's had double ring tulips

yeah i was thinking of doing the same I just didnt want to have to ream the holes to a larger diameter to be able to fit tonepro's klusons with tulips.

I know historically the 335's had double ring tulips

Most of the higher-end contemporary ES-335's use Kluson-style Gibson Deluxe single rings. If you want a period-correct look, these should be a direct swap with the Grovers, except that the screw holes won't line up.

Those are the tuners on my Nashville '59 Historic ES-335.

Archived