Gibson Brands Forums

helpful tips for a new player

Anyone got any good lessons or tips for a semi skilled player. I'd like to improve vastly but I'm kinda stuck where I'm at, I have the time and desire but am having a hard time progressing thanks in advance!!

Without spouting off a bunch of technical terms and Italian words just to prove how musically educated (or not) I am (which many people like do here), the simplest and most fun way to broaden your horizons is to learn some songs from musical genres other than normally listen to and/or play.

Just by learning how to play a couple of songs, from country music, pop, R&B, blues, rock, metal, jazz, classical, etc., you will learn tons about playing guitar without even knowing it. You can put the technical terms and definitions to it later.

That's how I started playing, watching videos and learning songs but I feel I need an instructor to start at the basics or something. I'm feeling like I'm having writers block for musicians lol

Without spouting off a bunch of technical terms and Italian words just to prove how musically educated (or not) I am (which many people like do here), the simplest and most fun way to broaden your horizons is to learn some songs from musical genres other than normally listen to and/or play.

Just by learning how to play a couple of songs, from country music, pop, R&B, blues, rock, metal, jazz, classical, etc., you will learn tons about playing guitar without even knowing it. You can put the technical terms and definitions to it later.

VERY good advice!!

If I feel stuck, I try to play with people who are better players or play a different style than I'm used to or comfortable with. This opens up doors, gets you out of a rut, and gives you something to work on!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Remember to keep it fun and not get too mad. You'll eventually be able to play what you want and sounding how you want if you keep a balanced routine of practice and don't underestimate things like warming up, tuning and tone. Remember to use a metronome when practicing and play songs that need to be tight as tight as possible and songs that need to be a little loose and a little sloppier a little loose and a little sloppier. Oh and last .. look for a real teacher nothing beats being able to sort out your practicing problems with a real player

• 4 months later...

Quoting Steve Vai—"Play something new every day."

If you can get with a qualified guitar teacher, that can really help to advance your playing. YouTube is great - here's a link to the Top 50 YouTube Guitar Channels that was posted on Reddit recently. It consists of channels with guitar lessons, product info, interviews, etc.

100% agree! play something new everyday - saw Steve Vai playing flamenco on the internet somewhere - nice to see a master like that playing something new

Archived