Gibson Brands Forums

Thomann Sample Archive

Mojorule

For some time now, EuroAussie has been touting the idea of getting everybody who can to record the country sample used by Thomann here in Europe to market their guitars. The sample is an example of hybrid flatpicking and strumming with a pick and is easy to learn by ear if you can play a G chord, a C chord and a D chord, plus a basic G7 run. It shows off instruments quite well in that it gets their tops moving but involves enough single-note material to give you a sense of lead capabilities. It was instrumental (pun, as ever, intended) in my choosing to buy a Woody Guthrie SJ. A few hardy individuals have recorded this item in individual threads, but I thought it might be a good idea to collect samples of as many instruments owned by members here as we can. Sort of an Alan Lomax-style field archive of Gibson instruments (Bozeman, Nashville, Kalamazoo, Canada, wherever), for posterity and perhaps to help the folks at Bozeman hear what we like. Obviously recording conditions will be varied in the extreme, but hopefully something of each instrument will emerge for all to appreciate.

I'll kick off. 2011 Woody Guthrie Southern Jumbo, played with a Heavy Gibson 346-style plectrum, through a 999-forint (under 3 pounds sterling) Technika video-conferencing microphone into Soundcloud.

Woody Guthrie 2011

Ha, nice one Mojo, almost has a banjo type tone, and definitely very honky tonk. You got just the right feel and tone with this one !

Mine's not quite up there on the skill level as I was just starting to learn basic bluegrass patterns, but this was my effort from a year ago with the SJ.

Ha, nice one Mojo, almost has a banjo type tone, and definitely very honky tonk. You got just the right feel and tone with this one !

Mine's not quite up there on the skill level as I was just starting to learn basic bluegrass patterns, but this was my effort from a year ago with the SJ.

Ah, but you got the recording right. Sounds so lush and yet thumpy. Perfect SJ tone. Can't really do justice to mine with the cheap mic. Also must slow down!

For some time now, EuroAussie has been touting the idea of getting everybody who can to record the country sample used by Thomann here in Europe to market their guitars. The sample is an example of hybrid flatpicking and strumming with a pick and is easy to learn by ear if you can play a G chord, a C chord and a D chord, plus a basic G7 run. It shows off instruments quite well in that it gets their tops moving but involves enough single-note material to give you a sense of lead capabilities. It was instrumental (pun, as ever, intended) in my choosing to buy a Woody Guthrie SJ. A few hardy individuals have recorded this item in individual threads, but I thought it might be a good idea to collect samples of as many instruments owned by members here as we can. Sort of an Alan Lomax-style field archive of Gibson instruments (Bozeman, Nashville, Kalamazoo, Canada, wherever), for posterity and perhaps to help the folks at Bozeman hear what we like. Obviously recording conditions will be varied in the extreme, but hopefully something of each instrument will emerge for all to appreciate.

I'll kick off. 2011 Woody Guthrie Southern Jumbo, played with a Heavy Gibson 346-style plectrum, through a 999-forint (under 3 pounds sterling) Technika video-conferencing microphone into Soundcloud.

Woody Guthrie 2011

That's a crazy sound you get from the mic mojo, your more recent clip sounded much more close to the sound of my Woody model.

That's a crazy sound you get from the mic mojo, your more recent clip sounded much more close to the sound of my Woody model.

You mean the fingerpicked clip? That to me does sound closer to the sound I like and the sound I hear from my guitar. I was rather taken aback by what came out from yesterday's recording too. It's not really how my Woody sounds to me. It growls and barks with a flatpick, though at present it needs more regular outings so does sound a bit glossy instead of open. It's the same mic on both, and pretty well in the same position (pointing down towards the soundhole from the neck side. Perhaps I need to rethink my choice of flatpick (although I love the feel of that one and the way it brings out treble). Or try again and make sure I'm playing over the soundhole and not towards the bridge. When I can get a better mic I will...

Just play a tonn of cowboy chords Mojo, that should do the trick !

You mean the fingerpicked clip? That to me does sound closer to the sound I like and the sound I hear from my guitar. I was rather taken aback by what came out from yesterday's recording too. It's not really how my Woody sounds to me. It growls and barks with a flatpick, though at present it needs more regular outings so does sound a bit glossy instead of open. It's the same mic on both, and pretty well in the same position (pointing down towards the soundhole from the neck side. Perhaps I need to rethink my choice of flatpick (although I love the feel of that one and the way it brings out treble). Or try again and make sure I'm playing over the soundhole and not towards the bridge. When I can get a better mic I will...

Yeah, the other clip seemed more like a Woody G model to me. This newer clip though, it's a cool sound, not a bad one. As you say mic placement can make all the difference, but this one is quite an interesting tone. This one was much more unusual and that's what caught my attention. Very cool, liked it. Very steady skills in both clips though. Tip of the cap, sir.

Just play a tonn of cowboy chords Mojo, that should do the trick !

Well indeed, that is the ticket. With a pick. Hard. And a few Dylan strummers to boot. Every now and then I give it that treatment, but it is mainly the fingers. Recently kids (Miss Rule 1, Master Rule, Miss Rule 2) and work have made even fingerpicking practice tough to fit in. Yesterday had a rehearsal with Mrs Rule on mando and also with the Kindergarten Band (do not ask). Mrs Rule is a beginner but rather good at the old chops. Interestingly though, when I flatpick it drowns her out - on the beater as well as on the Gibson. She's not hitting the mando as hard as one could, but she does produce a reasonable volume, so it is fair to say that the flatpick and the SJ produce good volume. Open enough in that sense. Still the guitar needs to open up in other ways. It sounds almost rosewoody to me at the moment (not in a rich in overtones way, but in the way that J45 Custom Rosewoods sound to me - nice, but too much sheen for what I want).

Yeah, the other clip seemed more like a Woody G model to me. This newer clip though, it's a cool sound, not a bad one. As you say mic placement can make all the difference, but this one is quite an interesting tone. This one was much more unusual and that's what caught my attention. Very cool, liked it. Very steady skills in both clips though. Tip of the cap, sir.

Thanks. That is kind. The fingerpicked thing last week did sound more like what I hear, and want to hear, but even there I found a certain glossiness that made me think of rosewood J45s. Not that glossy, and a lot of the earthy mahogany goodness is definitely there, but I felt that the lack of playing time and huge humidity here were affecting the sound slightly. I had that impression live as well, so it's not just the recording. Compare with my first soundcloud post of Wildwood Flower and I think you'll find more dry tone a month or so ago. Thing is I quite like the slightly 'wetter' or almost electric tone that new mahogany Gibsons seem to produce, and I like the really dry tone that the vintage jobs have. I like the fact that the Woody can swing between both, just I see at the moment that I'm guilty of neglecting it and letting things swing a bit too far to the 'wet' side. Yesterday the treble on the track weirded me out. It's like a certain dryness reappeared, but mainly because the treble was brutal, not because the guitar has really been brought back to life by the playing. Live it didn't seem like that.

Sounds like an easy fix could be experimenting with a few string brands too see if the Mr Sheen effect can be subuded with warmer strings .... but then if you change them every 14 months it could be lengthy experiment Mojo ... :rolleyes:

Well indeed, that is the ticket. With a pick. Hard. And a few Dylan strummers to boot. Every now and then I give it that treatment, but it is mainly the fingers. Recently kids (Miss Rule 1, Master Rule, Miss Rule 2) and work have made even fingerpicking practice tough to fit in. Yesterday had a rehearsal with Mrs Rule on mando and also with the Kindergarten Band (do not ask). Mrs Rule is a beginner but rather good at the old chops. Interestingly though, when I flatpick it drowns her out - on the beater as well as on the Gibson. She's not hitting the mando as hard as one could, but she does produce a reasonable volume, so it is fair to say that the flatpick and the SJ produce good volume. Open enough in that sense. Still the guitar needs to open up in other ways. It sounds almost rosewoody to me at the moment (not in a rich in overtones way, but in the way that J45 Custom Rosewoods sound to me - nice, but too much sheen for what I want).

Sounds like an easy fix could be experimenting with a few string brands too see if the Mr Sheen effect can be subuded with warmer strings .... but then if you change them every 14 months it could be lengthy experiment Mojo ... :rolleyes:

Yeah, but you've got to admit they've still got life in them. Sheen after 14 months?!?

http://www.arctubulae.com/files/Bird_new_pins_apr12_2.mp3

My take is the first tune in this mp3 I posted earlier. Not with the right stings as I acknowlegde now (much too bright sounding coated ones), but still a nice Bird!

Love the playing, and love the tone of the Bird on your video postings. Very birdy on those. The strings on this recording definitely make it sound most unbirdlike, though. Now EA - what's better: coated strings or 14-month-old MBs?

You know Mojo, the strings that really hit a sweet spot for me recently are the Pyramid PB's. They are the cheapest strings you can buy from Thomann at 4 euro each (probably cause they are manufactured in Germany) but have a great tone that works a treat on the SJ and Bird'. I bought 10 packets when put in my order for the HB TV.

I came across them when in London in Denmarkt St playing a bunch of old Gibsons which were all strung with the Pyramids.

That would be my selection, warmth, nice sheen but also definite SJ thump.

Love the playing, and love the tone of the Bird on your video postings. Very birdy on those. The strings on this recording definitely make it sound most unbirdlike, though. Now EA - what's better: coated strings or 14-month-old MBs?

I'll definitely give them a go next time I have a big enough order to make the postage worthwhile. Or if I find some in Budapest. First have to work my way through a pack of D'Addario 85-15s that the Missis bought me - the nearest thing we've got to D'Ad 80/20s in town, which in turn were touted to be the nearest thing to the MBs that Gibson slaps on.

These are the strings that almost made me send my HB TV back to Thomann couple weeks back .... just sayin'

D'Ad 80/20s in town, which in turn were touted to be the nearest thing to the MBs that Gibson slaps on.

These are the strings that almost made me send my HB TV back to Thomann couple weeks back .... just sayin'

Yeah, I hear you. But I'm in this for the long game, so not planning on sending the Woody back. I know how good it can sound, and enjoy the way it changes with the weather, my playing, how much attention it gets, etc. Hungary really is less well served for guitar stuff than Czech Rep. The shop in Maria Ter we've talked about in the past is first rate, and I love it, but it is small and doesn't carry millions of different string types. They're keen on Newtone strings and we bought some for Mrs Rule's mando there. They sound great, and may do well for the guitar as well, but then maybe they like them there for their Furches. Not much else available there, and I note that our local bluegrass band (Furch-driven, the nearest we have to a pro acoustic band) are well-known to said shop, despite the fact that we are 3 hours away from Budapest and have a local guitar shop. Indicative that this is the best shop in Hungary, which says a lot about what you can get here more generally. Cost of Thomann imports is not viable for 4-Euro strings. And I don't get through enough by breakage and wastage to justify ordering 10 sets. (Even then, p and p would be half as much again.) String-swapping for the sake of finding the holy grail would be a bit of a luxury at present. I reckon more practice in the right way might be more productive. Road trip soon to exotic locations, so may look at what souvenirs can be bought at Woodbrass. Thomann would be reachable, but would annoy co-travellers. Wish I could pop in on Willi Henkes' shop too, but I fear I might not make it back home in one piece if I suggest that detour. Just to touch that rosewood banner SJ, though. And sample it for this thread! Why didn't JT play the Thomann sample when he had that guitar in his hands?! Some people. I ask you. You just can't get them to play with a flatpick.

http://www.arctubulae.com/files/Bird_new_pins_apr12_2.mp3

My take is the first tune in this mp3 I posted earlier. Not with the right stings as I acknowlegde now (much too bright sounding coated ones), but still a nice Bird!

Nice range of examples. I don't mind the bright strings at all, as a 'bird sometimes needs to be a bit more ar-ti-cu-late and up front.

They are a bit "chime-y", but not in an unpleasant way.

Archived