Gibson Brands Forums

Knob removal on ES339

daveduryea

You know they actually make a tool for this but it's like a lot of things you can still do the job with a little ingenuity. The idea is to pull straight up without tilting it. Wrap something soft that will not damage the finish like a rag or shoe lace and pull straight up. It will come off. If it comes off real hard then chances are its going to go on hard so I prefer to apply equal pressure from the back of the pot as I push the knob back on to prevent cracking the top and more importantly to prevent the back of the pot from sepearating. Gibson pots generally have a shaft retainer snap ring that prevents this from happening but not all pots do.

This minute or so long video may help.

I do not know the guy that made the video but the presentation is good.

I use the shoe lace method, which is about the same.

Thanks for the suggestions, the video makes removal look pretty simple but putting the knob back on might be the issue as there is no way I can put my finger through the F hole and support the pot while putting back on. Appreciate the help but this one might be a job for the expert.

How big are your fingers anyway. You should be able to get enough of your finger in through the f hole to pull upwards even if you use only the tip of your finger. It's not like you have to pound it on just apply even pressure. You might not even have to push from the back if it goes on easy. I had some real tight knobs that gave a lot of resistance and I felt better applying force to the back of the pot while installing the knobs rather than blow the back of the pot out.

Someone showed me 30 years ago, basically the same thing as what the guy in the video did, except with a shoe lace. I've been using the shoe lace method for years, no problems ever.

Someone showed me 30 years ago, basically the same thing as what the guy in the video did, except with a shoe lace. I've been using the shoe lace method for years, no problems ever.

Yes, a shoe lace works very well. Somehow figured that out on my own one day, after earlier episodes of agony.

You know they actually make a tool for this but it's like a lot of things you can still do the job with a little ingenuity. The idea is to pull straight up without tilting it. Wrap something soft that will not damage the finish like a rag or shoe lace and pull straight up. It will come off. If it comes off real hard then chances are its going to go on hard so I prefer to apply equal pressure from the back of the pot as I push the knob back on to prevent cracking the top and more importantly to prevent the back of the pot from sepearating. Gibson pots generally have a shaft retainer snap ring that prevents this from happening but not all pots do.

I just use a Gibson cloth and put the cloth under the knob and pull it up. I often change the knobs on my Gibsons when I first purchase the guitar cos I have a particular look in mind for the guitar and tbh the selections made by Gibson as to the colour and style can be very ordinary.

However my replacement knobs are always Gibson knobs just a different colour and style to the original.

Archived