Gibson Brands Forums

300k or 500k pots

CowboyBillyBob1

Humbuckers usually have 500k and single coil usually have 250k.

(correct me if I'm wrong)

If you want a brighter sound and more output go with a 1meg

If you want a darker sound and less out put go with a 250k

Also you can change your capacitor

.01uF will be bright

.22uF

.47uF will be dark

So if you have humbuckers maybe try 500k with a .22cap to start and if it's too dark or too bright adjust off of that. I usually like either a .22 or a .01. Sometimes if the pickups are really dark I will put a .005 on the tone but maybe I will start experimenting with pot values.

Humbuckers usually have 500k and single coil usually have 250k.

(correct me if I'm wrong)

If you want a brighter sound and more output go with a 1meg

If you want a darker sound and less out put go with a 250k

Also you can change your capacitor

.01uF will be bright

.22uF

.47uF will be dark

So if you have humbuckers maybe try 500k with a .22cap to start and if it's too dark or too bright adjust off of that. I usually like either a .22 or a .01. Sometimes if the pickups are really dark I will put a .005 on the tone but maybe I will start experimenting with pot values.

Are you familiar withe the 2012 Standard?

All the pots both tone and volume are push pull to split coils and put in and out of phase. Not your normal LP set up.

I was looking for some one who was familiar with this specific new configuration. I would imagineg changing from one to another would be hard to do.

Whoop's my bad #-o

Nothing wrong! We all know it's worth listening to everything You say! If it wasn't for You my Classic Custom wouldn't sound as great as it does now! Thanks for the great infos on caps and wiring! [wink] Cheers... Bence

Guest rogerb

Les Paul models made at the USA plant have 300K linear taper volume and 500K audio taper tone controls.

Hello SG! It's coil-tap actually - not split. Makes the humbucker sound like a P-90. Cheers... Bence

I thought when you make the humbucker a single coil you are splitting it and when you tap you are "tapping" into only a portion of the windings on the pickup to alter the tone.

Les Paul models made at the USA plant have 300K linear taper volume and 500K audio taper tone controls.

There you go this is the official answer but,

CTS pots have a +/- 10% tolerance, the only way to know exactly is by measuring each pot with a multimeter.

Yet another reason why each guitar sounds different even if it is the same model.

I just bought some pots for a project guitar and this one clocks right at 500k, first one ever! this is an Alpha pot, upgrade for import guitars with metric measurements, it is supposed to have a +/-20% tolerance but this pot is perfect.

bb13949d.jpg

Archived