Gibson Brands Forums

Advice on new fingerboard 1924 L3

I recently bought a The Gibson L3 round hole archtop that was made in 1924. I like the condition it is in-it shows some age, but is in remarkable condition...except for the fingerboard and frets. I want it as a player, not a collectable,and I want some information on a good place to have the work done that is near Berks County, PA...I certainly am willing to ship it, but if there is someone nearby, I'd prefer that.

Does Gibson do this sort of work on its old guitars?

Who would you recommend from experience, not just from reputation.

Thanks.

mark

added: I have emailed a local repairman/guitar builder about this. I think this might be the guy...http://mikehaneytheguitardr.com/

• 3 weeks later...

I did a similar repair to my 1943 L-50. The frets were ok but the fingerboard dropped off over the body, losing the playability of those notes.

I removed the frets and leveled the fretboard. It plays like a dream now, but one of the pearl dots sanded trough and needed to be replaced.

Overall, I sometimes wonder if correcting the fault wasn't an even trade for losing some of the original mojo. The brazilian rosewood actually looks brighter and more colorful, but – out of place...

Gilgamesh

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Actually, I never did get it repaired...I oiled the fretboard and let it set in the case for several months. There are still depressed areas on the fret board, but they are now - IMO - playable, and I am just perfecting the set up and plan to play it tonight.

I love just looking at it and holding it...I was never comfortable sending it out for repair, and I am just going to be happy with it as it is...Pics coming later this week.

Thanks for the comments - I could not let it out of my sight.

mark

Archived