Gibson Brands Forums

Father's Day comes early

bonzoboy

Today I picked up my Father's day gift from the Missus-a Vox Mini 3 amp.The amp is tiny with just 3 W and a 5" speaker yet sounds surprisingly good and has some great features.The amp has 11 amp models,4 effects-flanger,comp,tremolo and chorus plus 4 types of echo/reverb.It operates by 12 V adapter or 6 AA batteries so it's handy for camping or picnics.It also has an aux in jack so that you can hook up an I pod etc. and play along and/or use a mic with it.I have to try the amp through a 4-12 Marshall cabinet as the amp models would sound more close to the real things than through the dinky little 5" speaker.I was looking at some of the smaller Marshalls too as their solid states are much better sounding than most others but so are the Vox amps too but this puppy had a lot more features and is rock solid just like the Ac-15s and 30s.

I was reading your post and seems you like the little Vox guy,so I went over to the MF website to check it out (Do you know if it's cheaper else wear).I was over at Sam Ash yesterday and somehow either missed it or they didnt have any as I really would liked to hear it but maybe I,ll try you tube lately there's a lot of reviews there.I did look at a lot of smaller amps like the Vox and it seems every company is jumping on the small,portable,lots of preset sounds and effects and battery powered or batt.and AC powered together.This little Vox seems like it has a lot of good stuff for playing around with and the price of $79.99 plus free shipping looks good to me.I have a Hartke 60 Watt 2 channel head with a 4 x 8 cabinet and a few pedals I bought in case playing out ever happened again (very small chance)also a 15 watt Washburn Bad Dog combo that sounds OK but is only AC and I would like to go out in my large back yard on battery power with the effects already built in the amp and play.So Bonzoboy my guess is you still dig the little Vox and BTW congrats on a new amp.

Hi Bulywyf,this is Vox number 4 for me,I already have the AD120VTH with a 4-12 cabinet loaded with Steve Grindrod Designed Wharfedales(he also designed the Vox Bulldog speakers,Celestion Greenbacks,some classic Marshall and Vox amps and most recently formed the Albion amp company)the AD120VTH is the first edition of Vox`s Valvetronix line of amps and it has 16 spot on amp models and 11 instant effects,6 modulation effects and a very realistic echo/reverb section plus up to 128 tone/effects/model programmable presets and with two 60W stereo channels it is plenty loud and with the stereo capability it really gives depth to modulation effects like Leslie,Uni-Vibe,flanger and phaser,it really throws the sound around so that you can't tell where it's coming from.I also have the Pathfinder 15R with reverb and tremolo and a very tubelike sound for a S/S amp.I have the AMPlug with the optional cabinet with a 2" speaker which sounds really cheesy but a lot like an AC 30 when I run it through the Aux. of my Sirius boombox.The next Vox on my list is the AC 15 even though my AD120 has very realistic AC15 and 30 models,the whole amp/cabinet setup weighs about 150 lbs so the AC 15 would be quite a bit lighter.The Mini 3 costs about $110 plus tax here in Canada,I bought mine at my local Mom and Pop store-Reid Music but they charge the same as the huge Canadian chain Long&McQuade.This little Vox has an amazing tone for having just a dinky little 5" speaker-especially with the Comp. effect up full.I played Spanish Castle Magic on the JCM 800 setting and it sounded just great-not a bit tinny as one would expect it to.You could probably pull off using this miced in a pinch if your main amp quit on you.

Archived