Gibson Brands Forums

J45 VS Hummingbird

Flamed Froggy

I read that the original H'bird from the early 60's were built to replicate Martin's D body style' date=' and did not have scalloped bracing. All the newer ones now have scalloped bracing. Do they sound the same? The old non-scallop bracing makes the old ones have more thump?

I have not played a real old one - anyone here have?[/quote']

I have played a '63 Country-Western, which is as far as I know a Hummingbird with a plain top. It belongs to a friend of mine who has owned it since the mid '70s, so I've played it a fair amount - though not in the last couple of years. It's very similar to my '04 Hummingbird. If anything it sounds warmer and a little richer - but not by much. As far as I'm concerned, it's pretty much a toss-up. My friend, who has been a professional musician on and off since she was a teenager, likes hers. On the other hand her 21-year-old son, who is a far better guitar player than either of us, prefers mine.

Honestly, with it's reputation and size, I expected more from the SJ-200. I've played a half dozen or more, and have played it side by side to the J-45 and Hummingbird and both had more bass and were louder.

This is exactly what I noticed when I test SJ 200.

If you want power & bass, you might want to consider an advanced Jumbo, the are priced about the same as a J-45.

They are powerful, with plenty of bass

I don't know AJ models but I feel they're bigger than SJ. Well, I'm not sure that size is the main problem. I think the most important point is woods. What I'm looking for is not possible with maple I feel.

I was happy to read your posts, it was very nice.

"I don't know AJ models but I feel they're bigger than SJ." Actually, The AJ body is a J45 body, with a (slight) tuck in the waist. It gets its power from the back/sides (rosewood) and scale (25.5 vs 24.75 on the Bird). Of course, that combo means AJs bark while Birds purr. A great guitar but probably not your idea of a good time. And as noted, the4 Sj200 is a dry sound; sounds like you want reverb and ring. On track for Big Bird.

In reference to old 60s Hummingbirds,

About a month ago a old pickin bud stopped by with his only Dred, a 64 Hummingbird. His play style is hard,and wide open with a flat-pick. He had new strings, and was getting a lot of volume from that old bird.

It sounded less warm and mellow than my old J45. More harsh.

I noted he simply could not play my D55 or D25 Guilds, as his attack was not needed, and he was overdriveing .

When he picked up my Martin D18AG, ( loud by nature ), he was shakeing my picture window.

I played his Hummingbird and came to the conclusion, it had to be pounded to sound off. Not a coffee house, or finger picking guitar, but still sounded good if sharply attacked.

IMHO, not my preference.

Dale.

I am a confirmed SJ nut' date=' my SJ200 is very balanced and is a great all-rounder, but I have played some that are very bass-light. I worked with Graham Gouldman from 10CC recently, and he has a great SJ200 from '07, which sounds terrific but very light on the bottom end. Blindfolded, his and mine would seem to be utterly different guitars. The new Hog SJ100 is unbelievable, btw. I have never heard such an imposing wall of tone in all my days. I want one!.[/quote']

that hog (remember that tree guy that gave us heck for saying "hog"?) j100 is on my short list (what isn't?) to play but there isnt one within 3500K of here. i hope to see one at the michigan guitar show on the 30th.

edit for foul language!

Just a little correction: the SJ-100 is not made with hog (unless there's an even newer model than the one I'm aware of)' date=' but with bubinga. There's a little thread here discussing it. I bought one a couple years ago, and yeah, it's got a BIG sound with lotsa bottom. Moreso IME than the maple body SJ-200s that I've tried.

that hog (remember that tree guy that gave us heck for saying "hog"?) j100 is on my short list (what isn't?) to play but there isnt one within 3500K of here. i hope to see one at the michigan guitar show on the 30th.

edit for foul language!

Elderly has a burst hog 100 (but probably won't two hours after I post this). Werent you just there? Doh! But its a 93, not sure about that era's consistency...That was right about when the started improving again, no?

Elderly has a burst hog 100 (but probably won't two hours after I post this). Werent you just there? Doh! But its a 93' date=' not sure about that era's consistency...That was right about when the started improving again, no? [/quote']

double d'oh! it wasnt there when i was so i have that " i must have that" feeling right now. you guys all know it. what a beauty. it might last a bit, though because its on consignment and priced a little high. + exchange is gonna kill me now - the canadian dollar was worth 79 cents yesterday. what happened?!?!

J-45 whether TV or MC is my pick. Just has an indescribable tone that you just keep coming back to. It just goes so well for voice too. The MC's are very hit or miss in my experiences. I've played about 12 different MC's. The J-45 TV's are all very consistent from my experience and just have that airy light braced sound that is just so addicting. I did like Hummingbirds but could never justify the extra money spent on them especially when I preferred the J-45 tone.

<snipped>

I worked with Graham Gouldman from 10CC recently' date=' ...

<snipped>

[/quote']

Jinder, that's cool as hell. 10CC is great, but I'm 56 and when I think of Gouldman I immediately think of "For Your Love", "Evil Hearted You", "Heart Full of Soul", "Bus Stop", "Look Through Any Window", and "No Milk Today" Damn what a resume, just right there. I'm a huge, huge fan of his, then and now. The man is a legend.

I own a 1963 Hummingbird and a 1999 J45. The bird has a very mellow tone (from age maybe) and I find it easier to play. There is nothing wrong with the J45 but it is a bit smaller. You should play each before you buy one so that you will know what they feel and sound like.

If I had to choose one of them I would take my bird. Neither one of mine has any electronics.

Archived