Gibson Brands Forums

1960 Tribute Plus Locktone Bridge help

atreyu2112

Hey all, I just picked up 2 Epi LP Tribute Plus guitars new. One in Midnight Ebony, the other Black Cherry. I am not digging the stock bridge as the tuning stability with it sucks. So I ordered a Gotoh TOM bridge for each (1511-N).

The Midnight Ebony one ... fine!

The Black Cherry one ... problem. I can't get the intonation set properly for the low E string. The saddle on the new Gotoh 1511-N bridge won't got flat enough. It's pinned at the wall and it's still slightly sharp. I put the original bridge back on and no intonation problems at all, but then the tuning stability issue arises again.

This is the proper direct drop in replacement bridge, so am I doing something wrong? And how come the Midnight Ebony one doesn't have this problem (even though the saddle is almost pinned)?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

What do you mean by tuning stability issues? I never had a problem with the lock tone stuff on my Wilshire.

Issues like that are most commonly caused at the nut, so I've heard. But someone else will come along with more details on that.

Have you tried taking out the saddle, and putting it in 'back to front', in order to give yourself a couple of mm extra distance?

P.S that Gotoh bridge looks nice and solid and looks like a nice upgrade.....however can I just add, I have never noticed tuning stability issues from an epiphone or gibson TOM bridge, I agree that it is far more likely to be an issue with the nut.

I thought the tuners on my epi LP were crap until I changed the nut and had no tuning issues since.

Just want to say I agree with everything that Neil wrote.

I would have written almost the exact same thing.

You still have not stated what the "tuning issues" are that you speak of. Someone already asked you. So I will try.

What tuning issues are you talking about? Replacing a bridge because your guitar doesn't say in tune is not the best decision IMO.

You may need to get inside the saddle and do some filing with a file, or sandpaper.

And yes, check the nut. That's always the best place to start. [thumbup]

Thanks for the replies.

The tuning issue... Guitar won't stay in tune really. Stretched the strings, set intonation, neck is good. I can't get through a song, especially if a lead has some bends in it, without it going noticeably out of tune.

The midnight ebony lp, with the Gotoh bridge... same model guitar, same production year... not an issue at all, nor on a lp standard plus top that I had (with the same Gotoh bridge).

I went to turn the saddle around on the Gotoh bridge but could not get the nut off of the screw. Actually the screw head snapped off.

If I have to mod the nut this guitar is being returned and I'll just grab another.

But why would the original bridge intonate properly and the Gotoh not? Only epi lp I have EVER had this issue with.

Thanks for the replies.

The tuning issue... Guitar won't stay in tune really. Stretched the strings, set intonation, neck is good. I can't get through a song, especially if a lead has some bends in it, without it going noticeably out of tune.

The midnight ebony lp, with the Gotoh bridge... same model guitar, same production year... not an issue at all, nor on a lp standard plus top that I had (with the same Gotoh bridge).

I went to turn the saddle around on the Gotoh bridge but could not get the nut off of the screw. Actually the screw head snapped off.

If I have to mod the nut this guitar is being returned and I'll just grab another.

But why would the original bridge intonate properly and the Gotoh not? Only epi lp I have EVER had this issue with.

Yup, that sounds exactly like a nut issue...but you may have just picked up a dud guitar, it does happen from time to time. what about taking it to a pro' to have a new nut fitted and basic set up done.

Ah, just got the guitar new this past Thursday. I think you guys are right about the nut as even the stock bridge properly intonated has the low E saddle almost pinned at the back wall. Has to be a dud because the Midnight Ebony one is KILLER (so good, I ordered another, the Black Cherry).

I called the dealer and they are actually going to give me another one (same model & color in stock) and send this one back as defective. Very sad because otherwise it's perfect including a killer book matched top. But alas... this issue would drive me to not play it, so I'm kind of glad it'll be sqaured away tomorrow. \m/-_-\m/

Here they are, right after the Black Cherry arrived (the one being exchanged).

I really hope the flame top on the new one is as good & the play-ability as good as the Midnight Ebony.

208825_234938706609322_1997108361_n.jpg

526188_234939076609285_1374920399_n.jpg

480063_234939583275901_1790221137_n.jpg

Archived