Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Score!

Johnny V.

I was at the fall Bufflao Musicians Flea Market yesterday-our store usually brings a bunch of smaller stuff mixed with some of my personal items. We had a decent day-sold a bunch of things for the store and some of my own things too. My boothmate had a '60's Epiphone Cortez-cool little acoustic in very nice shape, but it went to a local dealer for more than I wanted to pay. Nothing else really interested me even though I had money to spend.

I was packing up around 3:30 and as I was moving stuff out to the van, I noticed a Hummingbird at the table of one of the other vendors. On a whim, I asked him what the price was. He showed me the repaired crack in the side and said $ 650.00. I tried it and he offered to plug it in. As I've been thinking of adding a pickup to one of my other acoustics, this was a real plus. Even hampered by some of the deadest strings I've played, it sounded ok. I went for it and offered him $500.00. I let him think about if for a few minutes and he accepted my offer.

It's a '93, style VCS,with the original Gibson HS case. The crack repair on the side looks kind of ugly inside, but it's solid. It has some checking on the headstock finish, and there's a quarter size finish repair on the back of the neck, but otherwise it looks good. Besides the dead strings, it was pretty dirty with lots of crud on the fingerboard. I cleaned it up, polished the frets and restrung it. It sounds real nice and looks good too!

This will make a very nice "player" guitar, especially with the pickup. I've got a '93 J-30 also, and despite the two models supposed similarity, they feel different. The 'Bird feels heavier and the neck profile is bigger.

Anyway, I'm excited to add it to my collection! You never know when something it going to drop in your lap!

Nice one Johnny V, and welcome BTW.

Now all you have to do is go to KSDaddy's guitar site, marvel at the re-construction work he does then either try to emulate it or send him the Hummingturd!

Cheap as chips I should coco!

Well done!

great score Johnny! Welcome to the forum. Pics would be nice if you have the time and inclination...although when I get a new guitar I'm always too busy playing and enjoying it to post pics!

As a Bird player myself I am particularly tickled for ya.

Thanks for the welcomes. Long time lurker and I think I posted a few times in the past before the board was changed. My registration info was lost and I had to reregister.

I've ended up with a few Gibson acoustics as time has gone on. Besides the new to me Hummingbird and the J30, I've got 2 AJs- a 1990 vintage sunburst and a 1995 birdseye maple (spruce top, birdseye maple back and sides, maple neck, gold tuners, and a '54-'55 small pickguard LG-3.

I like my Gibsons! I'll try to post some pics of the new arrival.

Archived