Gibson Brands Forums

Corian Nut

CowboyBillyBob1

Can anyone tell me why they prefer a Bone vs Corian nut. If you think it alters the tone in which way does it do that? What is your perceived difference? It would be great for someone to post sound clips to evaluate the tone difference. I seriously doubt there is much difference if any at all.

I understand why someone would prefer to say they like the sound of bone but I suspect it may be a bit of cork sniffing.

I am not trying to be combative, just interested in why you like one over the other.

The biggest problem with stock corian nuts is Gibson never cuts them properly and that leads to tuning issues. I've replaced a few corian nuts with nylon. I didn't notice much of a difference, or any difference in most cases, but I don't have any tuning issues anymore and don't have to lube anything. There is no way you would be able to hear any difference if somebody posted youtube comparison clips. Heck, I can't tell the difference on my laptop between a Marshall stack and small solid state amp sometimes.

The biggest problem with stock corian nuts is Gibson never cuts them properly and that leads to tuning issues. I've replaced a few corian nuts with nylon. I didn't notice much of a difference, or any difference in most cases, but I don't have any tuning issues anymore and don't have to lube anything. There is no way you would be able to hear any difference if somebody posted youtube comparison clips. Heck, I can't tell the difference on my laptop between a Marshall stack and small solid state amp sometimes.

As I understand it the depth that the nut should be is half of the string thickness. My 2012 LP Standard is actually one of the few electric guitars set up properly right out of the box. No tuning issues either. Maybe I am just lucky.

No problem with my Martins, HD28V and OM21. They are bone nut and saddles. Martin kicks butt!

IMHO as long as the nut is cut properly it makes little or no difference to me what material it is made from. I'm sure I couldn't tell a difference - tonally speaking.

Even then it only matters, tonally, with open strings for the obvious reason.

In theory Corian should actually be more consistent, from one to the next, than bone as bone is a natural material and, as such, is open to variations with regards density and so on.

P.

Differences are there. If you do not have a sufficiently hard and dense nut material, the open strings will sound a little bit dull, or washed out compared to the sharper tone of the fretted notes. Metal frets are harder and more dense than any nut material....so to have a less noticeable difference in tone between fretted and open notes, you want the hardest, most dense material you can get. :D Grab an acoustic guitar, play any open string note, then play the same note somewhere else on the neck with a fretted string, alternate between the two and you can hear that the fretted note is distinctly sharper and cleaner than the open string note.

Corian is actually much denser than either bone or Tusk. Mine (2011 Trad) just happened to be cut perfectly. You still have to lubricate it now and then, but this is the second best tuning LP that I've ever owned. The best is a an Epiphone Gold Top, but you have to figure that the Epi's reduced headstock angle has a lot to do with that.

Archived