Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Dot

ayjaycee

Hi from a first time poster and relatively new guitarist. I have just got a new Epiphone Dot in limited edition Pelham Blue and cannot work out the pickup selecter and associated volume controls. As I understand it, 'up' position is for the neck pup, 'centre' for both pups and 'down' for the bridge. All OK so far but I cannot control volume independently when in the centre position. When in centre, turning either volume control to zero cuts out the sound completely (ie from BOTH pickups. I have tried different cables with the same result. Is this to the Dot specification or have I got a faulty switching system. I have spoken to my dealer who reckon it is OK and that all Dots are like it (something to do with reducing hum!) but the Gibson/Epiphone Europe 24/7 Support Desk have said that 'it sounds like a faulty circuit' to them. Can somebody withe a Dot please tell me how theirs is wired. Thanks in advance (for both advice and patience with a newbie!).[/font]

This is the typical Gibson/Epi wiring it's called 'dependent volume controls.' I don't care for it, as you can't blend the PU's. What I do on all my guitars is rewire them for 'independent volume controls' which is very easy to do, all you have to do is switch the lugs a couple hot wires are on (grounds stay the same).

Looking at the bottoms of the volume pots:

Dependent volumes - left ground, middle toggle wire, right PU and tone pot wires.

Independent volumes - left ground, middle PU and tone pot wires, right toggle wire.

That's all there is to it. You're only moving the hot wires, not the grounds, so you don't totally disconenct the PU's, toggle, or tone pots. Soldering 101.

Pulling out the volume pots is easy. Use an old washcloth to pull up/off the plastic knobs (prying them off with a screwdriver can crack them and scratch the guitar's finish). Unscrew nuts, and push the pot stems down and out of their holes. Lift them gently thru the F hole, still connected, and set them on an old washcloth or towel, on top of the guitar. If the wiring is taped or shrick-wrapped together, carefully cut the tape (not the wires). Resolder one pot at a time. Test thru an amp before putting back in the guitar. Never pull or yank on the wires, as that can cause shorts. I push the volume pots back up into place with a 6" forcept with a curved end. That also works for the bridge tone pot. For the neck tone pot, I use a stiff plastic-coated wire to pull the pot up thru the hole. Some guys use aquarium tubing. I hold the pot stems with the forcept and tighten the nut. If you're doing more than a rewire or two, T-nut drivers are worth getting (from StewMac) as they don't mess up the finish like pliers do when you're tightening nuts. Test thru an amp again, before you put the knobs back on. This whole process usually takes a half hour or less.

Once you independent volume controls, you can get all kinds of in-between tones that aren't possible otherwise, by mixing in any amount of bridge and neck PU.

I cannot control volume independently when in the centre position. When in centre, turning either volume control to zero cuts out the sound completely ...

That's the way it was designed and has operated from time immemorial (or from the 50', anyway). When the selector switch is in the center position, you can blend the sound of both pickups; zeroing either pickup will turn off the sound of both.

Welcome to the forum!

Red 333

That's the way it was designed and has operated from time immemorial (or from the 50', anyway). When the selector switch is in the center position, you can blend the sound of both pickups; zeroing either pickup will turn off the sound of both.

Welcome to the forum!

Red 333

Thanks guys - advice much appreciated. I think I will put up with it as is for the time being - hell I'm just getting to know it and don't really want to start screwing around at this stage in the game. Also I don't feel to confident over running the risk of damage to the finish in any way. Some guitars bare battle scars proudly but this one is just too pretty to take chances!!

Again, thanks.

Dennis,

Thanks for the link. I actually read the manual that came with the guitar but it does'nt help by explaining what I now know is called 'Dependent Volume Control' (as advised by our friends above). It's a relief to know that my Dot is to the Epiphone spec as I am about to go overseas for a month and doubt I would have been able to get hold of another Pelham Blue one by the time I get back (the description 'Limited Edition' is generally overused but, in this case, seems to be accurate!).

If things work properly, here are the requested photos:

001.jpg

002.jpg

Hmmmmm...tasty.

BTW-if anyone removes thier pots for resoldering/modding etc, a good tip is to attach a string or fishline prior so that the pots can be pulled back up into place. Hollowbodies can be a real pain to deal with as far as the electronics are concerned.

Here's my last modding project on a hollowbody...

7173382510_db1f3076ea_c.jpg

Hollowbodies can be a real pain to deal with as far as the electronics are concerned.

Not really, if you read my post (above). String is not the best way to get the pots back in place, you need something stiffer, like wire or aquarium tubing. No wonder why some guys struggle with this. My first rewiring ever was putting a couple push-pulls in a 335, and it only took several minutes to get them all back in. Then I talked to a friend who said he spent an hour trying to get the pots back in his 335 using string. Why make it harder than it has to be?

Dennis,

Thanks for the link. I actually read the manual that came with the guitar but it does'nt help by explaining what I now know is called 'Dependent Volume Control' (as advised by our friends above). It's a relief to know that my Dot is to the Epiphone spec as I am about to go overseas for a month and doubt I would have been able to get hold of another Pelham Blue one by the time I get back (the description 'Limited Edition' is generally overused but, in this case, seems to be accurate!).

If things work properly, here are the requested photos:

001.jpg

002.jpg

Beautiful! Enjoy it, they are great guitars. I have an older Korean model that is sweet. I changed the pickups to Gibson 57's. It has a whole different tone. And tone range with the knobs now. But I really like the original pickups and missed them. So, I bought a es-339 which has very similar pickups. I love them. That Blue is gorgeous. Congrats!

Archived