Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul 50's Tribute

glennc

Howdy,

Seriously considering one of these guitars. But I have seen many variations. Maybe someone could clarify. I've am seeing currently 3 basic colors, black, gold and a burst color. All seem to have black backs and necks. In the threads on this forum I've seem them with natural colored backs, and you could see the maple cap line on the sides. Are these different model les paul's. I've heard and seen them called Les Paul Studio 50's Tribute. Also have seen them with p-90's. Slightly confused. Thanks for any clarification.

Glenn

I want one of those 50s tribute but with the p90s (i want the beefier neck), i have only seen the 60s tribute with p90s, where did you see the 50s with p90s if i dare to ask?

Hello Holmis,

Seen them on youtube and on the Gibson website at the below link!

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-50s-Tribute.aspx

Glenn

What about this one?

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Junior-Special-P90/Specs.aspx

My Jr Special specs say its a 60s slim taper profile, but its not by a long shot.

My LP GT 60s Trib says it has a 60s profile but it feels more like a 50/60s combo

My LP Trad Pro has a 60s slim taper profile, just like my DC standard.

HTH

Back to the initial question, is there anyone with any knowledge of the year and the types. Basically I would like the one shown only with the Humbuckers. But all I can find have the matte grained back and matte neck. Is this the only current choice for me?

Glenn

Back to the initial question, is there anyone with any knowledge of the year and the types. Basically I would like the one shown only with the Humbuckers. But all I can find have the matte grained back and matte neck. Is this the only current choice for me?

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

I own the guitar you seek. The '50s and '60s LP Studio Tributes with P90s have been going for a couple of years or more now and I think they all originally had natural backs. In 2011 Thomann (the largest Gibson retailer in Europe) launched the '50s Tribute Humbucker model which was exclusive to them. This run had light backs and, like the P90 versions which were available more generally, had rosewood fretboards. The HB model was, apparently, a test run for Gibson to see if they would sell and....they did! Since late last year/early this year Tribute HBs have been available for sale more generally but, like the latest P90 versions, now have dark backs and baked maple fretboards. The baked maple came about because of the Gibson raid where rosewood was seized and these models now also have dark backs. Unless Gibby bring back the natural backs you might find it quite hard to get one.

Cheers

Tribute HBs have been available for sale more generally but, like the latest P90 versions, now have dark backs and baked maple fretboards. Unless Gibby bring back the natural backs you might find it quite hard to get one.

Last month I purchased a '60s Tribute w/P90s that was made in March 2012. It's a heritage cherry finish with a 2-piece bookmatched red body. The fretboard is baked maple (but looks like a very dark piece of rosewood!).

Hi Glenn,

I own the guitar you seek. The '50s and '60s LP Studio Tributes with P90s have been going for a couple of years or more now and I think they all originally had natural backs. In 2011 Thomann (the largest Gibson retailer in Europe) launched the '50s Tribute Humbucker model which was exclusive to them. This run had light backs and, like the P90 versions which were available more generally, had rosewood fretboards. The HB model was, apparently, a test run for Gibson to see if they would sell and....they did! Since late last year/early this year Tribute HBs have been available for sale more generally but, like the latest P90 versions, now have dark backs and baked maple fretboards. The baked maple came about because of the Gibson raid where rosewood was seized and these models now also have dark backs. Unless Gibby bring back the natural backs you might find it quite hard to get one.

Cheers

Cheer back at ya Alan! Bummer. This appears to tie in with the circumstantial evidence I have seen. I've played the dark backs and they play well. A bit leery of the finish. I had the red faded studio and went through 2 and looked at others before returning it due to poor IMO quality, but had the roseood IIRC. This was a year or two ago. The ones I see now seem much better built and even finished. For the extra $50, I liked the look of the 50's tribute. Maybe I'll save the money and just get a faded again. Thanks for you time.

Glenn

Last month I purchased a '60s Tribute w/P90s that was made in March 2012. It's a heritage cherry finish with a 2-piece bookmatched red body. The fretboard is baked maple (but looks like a very dark piece of rosewood!).

I like the bigger neck of the 50's and definitely wan't the humbuckers. They may be running though a bunch of non matching 2,3 or 4 piece backs that can only be hidden with a black finish? Good luck with the new LP!

Glenn

Guest rogerb

I bought the goldtop Les Paul 50's tribute just about the time they were discontinued. I love the guitar, has plenty of single coil bite but has some beef to it too. I mainly bought it because I wanted a goldtop, it has become my go-to guitar.

What Alan says is correct. I believe the LP's you're after were only built for export.

Not all of them went to Thommann apparently. I'm in Australia and have seen them in stores here too. Here's mine. She's a beauty and I'm in lurv.

Goldie_9.jpg

Goldie_8.jpg

What Alan says is correct. I believe the LP's you're after were only built for export.

Not all of them went to Thommann apparently. I'm in Australia and have seen them in stores here too. Here's mine. She's a beauty and I'm in lurv.

Goldie_9.jpg

Goldie_8.jpg

Hello Philbo,

Quite a beauty. I finally picked up the new dark back version with no pickup covers. Great playing, the pickups are IMO much stronger than 57's.

Great catch!

Cheers

Glenn

Howdy,

Seriously considering one of these guitars. But I have seen many variations. Maybe someone could clarify. I've am seeing currently 3 basic colors, black, gold and a burst color. All seem to have black backs and necks. In the threads on this forum I've seem them with natural colored backs, and you could see the maple cap line on the sides. Are these different model les paul's. I've heard and seen them called Les Paul Studio 50's Tribute. Also have seen them with p-90's. Slightly confused. Thanks for any clarification.

Glenn

You seemed to like mine, glenncc, and I got it just three or four months ago online. PM me if you want the site name. It's satin honeyburst, and the back is dark brown, not black. It's a 2011 model, and it plays like a dream. It doesn't contain a line delineating between the cap and the body, but I think those were made for export.

Hello Philbo,

Quite a beauty. I finally picked up the new dark back version with no pickup covers. Great playing, the pickups are IMO much stronger than 57's.

Great catch!

Cheers

Glenn

Pics, Glenn?

........or it didn't happen!

Pics, Glenn?

........or it didn't happen!

Hello Alan,

Well, after a week of playing it, I decided that the money I'd spent could be better used in other areas. I enjoyed the guitar but, just not enough to justify it. I need a better amp, again, am fighting the desire to pick up a used SG Standard in Heritage Cherry and excellent IMHO condition for $50 less than the LP 50's Tribute. I have an LP Traditional so I am not completely wanting...... Plus I saw the GC only LP Studio 50's Tribute Deluxe.

Ah well!!!

Glenn

You seemed to like mine, glenncc, and I got it just three or four months ago online. PM me if you want the site name. It's satin honeyburst, and the back is dark brown, not black. It's a 2011 model, and it plays like a dream. It doesn't contain a line delineating between the cap and the body, but I think those were made for export.

I certainly would have preferred the wood back and neck with the delineating maple cap line, rather than the black paint, but that is just my own thing. So I am no longer a club member. Good luck with them, modding them seems like it would be fun also. Dumping the board and such. Good fortune with it!

Glenn

Hello Alan,

Well, after a week of playing it, I decided that the money I'd spent could be better used in other areas. I enjoyed the guitar but, just not enough to justify it. I need a better amp, again, am fighting the desire to pick up a used SG Standard in Heritage Cherry and excellent IMHO condition for $50 less than the LP 50's Tribute. I have an LP Traditional so I am not completely wanting...... Plus I saw the GC only LP Studio 50's Tribute Deluxe.

Ah well!!!

Glenn

I can see the logic if you already have the LP Trad, Glenn. An immaculate SG Standard would complement it quite nicely.

I can see the logic if you already have the LP Trad, Glenn. An immaculate SG Standard would complement it quite nicely.

I wish I could decide on a new amplifier for bedroom use, or just get the SG. Nice fatter neck...... or.......

Conflicted!

Glenn

I wish I could decide on a new amplifier for bedroom use, or just get the SG. Nice fatter neck...... or.......

Conflicted!

Glenn

If you've already got a few pedals like chorus, delay etc. then you could just buy a digitech bad monkey for just a few bucks and use its 'direct to mixer' output to turn it in to an amp. Simply connect the end of your pedal chain to a portable stereo via a 1/4" to 3.5 jack converter you can then use the appropriate lead to connect the 3.5 end to your stereo's audio input.

I find the BM quite expressive and valve-like when used as an amp and the other pedals I use with it really add the tonal sweetness and give me most options thast practice amps tend to offer. You could also easily use this setup as a backup in a live situation.

If you've already got a few pedals like chorus, delay etc. then you could just buy a digitech bad monkey for just a few bucks and use its 'direct to mixer' output to turn it in to an amp. Simply connect the end of your pedal chain to a portable stereo via a 1/4" to 3.5 jack converter you can then use the appropriate lead to connect the 3.5 end to your stereo's audio input.

I find the BM quite expressive and valve-like when used as an amp and the other pedals I use with it really add the tonal sweetness and give me most options thast practice amps tend to offer. You could also easily use this setup as a backup in a live situation.

Thanks for the info. I don't have any pedals. I will have to look up a digitech bad monkey. I am unfortunately addicted to tube amps. I have a Fender Blues Jr. It is just too loud at 2 on the volume and at 2 it is just opening up the dynamics and harmonics. So I am considering something like an attenuator, or just a new 1 or less watt tube amp. The problem is that you don't really know how they sound until they are in the bedroom. And still that SG calls to me!

Glenn

Archived