Gibson Brands Forums

Frets

SG dude

Hey hey!

Right, I've made my peace with the bridge having all those extra burrs and stuff, I can live with that, but I have a new, legit, problem...

I recently got the SG set up because it was buzzing too much, and the frets were dressed, levelled out, and the guitar was set up. It plays ok, the action is great and all, but I'm not 100% on it, because the frets haven't been rounded.

I can feel it when I'm playing, especially when I slide a note up or down the neck, and it seems to have affected the sustain of the guitar, which is a bit of a bummer.

Now, I was wondering about this. I will be going to the luthier to have him round off the frets, but I have a couple of questions for you guys, mainly about the binding. Is it possible for the frets to be rounded without the luthier removing the binding that covers the frets? I know the basics of how the job is done, and it looks like it would totally remove that part of the binding.

If it is the case in which rounding the frets removes this part of the binding, how does it feel afterwards?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Ryan.

Hey hey!

Right, I've made my peace with the bridge having all those extra burrs and stuff, I can live with that, but I have a new, legit, problem...

I recently got the SG set up becasue it was buzzing too much, and the frets were dressed, levelled out, and the guitar was set up. It plays ok, the action is great and all, but I'm not 100% on it, because the frets haven't been rounded.

I can feel it when I'm playing, especially when I slide a note up or down the neck, and it seems to have affected the sustain of the guitar, which is a bit of a bummer.

Now, I was wondering about this. I will be going to the luthier to have him round off the frets, but I have a couple of questions for you guys, mainly about the binding. Is it possible for the frets to be rounded without the luthier removing the binding that covers the frets? I know the basics of how the job is done, and it looks like it would totally remove that part of the binding.

If it is the case in which rounding the frets removes this part of the binding, how does it feel afterwards?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Ryan.

I'm guessing a Standard. What year?

so, I'm reading this thread, and I'm not sure I follow, if you had the frets leveled, I would think that having them recrowned this is all part of the job. the crown (or rounding) of the frets is pretty significant to intonation and over all action.

Yeah Kidblast, that's what I would thought too. If I didn't need it done for a couple of gigs that were close together, I would have asked him to finish the job. But because I was too busy, I never had time. But when i realised, I got thinking, and thought it may be too difficult a job without removing that part of binding.

But yeah, now I have time, and I know it's possible, I'll go back to him, and if he can't do it, I'll go to another tech till it can be done.

Cheers guys!

Archived