Gibson Brands Forums

Archtop bridge

bill67

Does a solid bridge make any difference than a bridge with 2 feet on a large arch top acoustically.

Probably, but you'd just have to try it to discover the results.

Fwiw, Gibson mandolins pior to the Loar era sported a one piece solid bridge. From Loar on, which includes the most highly acclaimed mandolins ever built, the two-footed adjustable bridge has been the norm.

From what I have read the two footed bridge base was used on most archtops after 1952 but I am not sure when they went back to the single foot bridge base. My 2009 L-4CES had a single foot bridge base with a TOM until I replaced it with a NOS 1960's two foot ebony bridge base with a an ebony top. I do wonder what the difference would be using the same bridge.

Thanks John

Benedetto used two feet, D'Aquisto made solid and massive bridges. Both claimed their selection was taken into account when they selected the tonewood and carved the top.

On a factory archtop, it will be a matter of replacement trials, most usefully with a Logic recording of each attempt. Assuming you can carve a bridge.

Gilgamesh

Two-foot bridge base, more pressure per square inch, less contact area. Solid bridge base, less pressure per square inch, more contact area. You take your pick.

Fit of the bridge to the arch of the soundboard is more important, regardless of the footed-ness [biggrin]

How many feet do violin or cello bridges have? Two or three?

Archived