Gibson Brands Forums

New old guitar day

davidl

A buddy of mine came over last Friday night and left behind a guitar for me.

More of a novelty for me as its a lefty but still pretty decent.

Did a little research and discovered it is an Ibanez, built at the FujiGen factory in Japan in July 1977.

They were making very fine guitars at the time. Very well built and the fretboard looks like it has hardly been played. The body has a few nicks and scratches.

Going to change strings, do a setup and moisturize the fret board and give a bit of a polishing.

I can't play it but I do have friends that pop over sometimes who are lefty's so it will be fun to hand them a guitar to play.

IMG_00000034.jpg

Dave

Nice! I guess that's one of the LPs they call a lawsuit.

You could also start to learn to play left handed as well as right. That would be cool since you have an excellent guitar that should make a seemingly difficult task easier.

The FujiGen factory turned out some very high-quality instruments in the '70s (and afterwards) and Ibanez, along with Yamaha, were highly-regarded for their craftsmanship.

Is it a set-neck or a bolt-on? Either way I'll bet it's a great player.

I'm sure your 'Southpaw' friends will love it!

P.

String it as a righty. [thumbup]

The thought has crossed my mind but the bridge is mounted at an angle. I woiuld have to drill to move the bridge and I don't want to do that. There isn't enough travel for the saddles to allow for proper intonation with the present bridge placement.

I think it will stay the way it is. I believe completely original.

Good thought though Tim.

Dave

Nice! I guess that's one of the LPs they call a lawsuit.

You could also start to learn to play left handed as well as right. That would be cool since you have an excellent guitar that should make a seemingly difficult task easier.

I do believe it would fit the lawsuit era.

The guitar to the left in the picture is also Japanese made and of the same era. I bought it new in 1978 or 79. It was made by the Kasuga factory for the Canadian market under the brand name Northern. Not too many of these around and also an excellent instrument.

Archived