Gibson Brands Forums

fret crowning file

scmglotr

Hi everyone. Im making a venture into fret dressing and was wondering what size crowning file would be best suited for my gibsons. Medium or large? I have an 04 studio, and an 11 sg special and 335. Want to clean up some fret work on my lp after a fret level. Any help is appreciated as always. Thanks, Chris

www.stewmac.com has tools and instruction manuals available. If decide to decide to "go for it", it might be wise to find a couple cheap guitars to practice on prior to attempting to fret dress a nice guitar. Personally, I do not have the patience and prefer to leave that sort of thing to professional guitar techs.

Cheapest bet is go to http://www.grizzly.com/products/3-In-1-Fret-File/H7514 I have one of these very same files, and it works very well, and is what has traditionally been used for many years. Keep in mind, DO NOT saw it back and forth or you will ruin the file teeth. It goes one way.....push! ;) As for fret dressing, I wouldn't start my learning on a Gibson, LOL, but any cheaper guitar will do. It really isn't that hard, but takes some skill and practice to get the hang of it and to do a good job. There are several helpful books about this as well. Research, research, research! Learn as much as you can about this subject and about guitar setup before just jumping in!!!!

Cheapest bet is go to http://www.grizzly.com/products/3-In-1-Fret-File/H7514 I have one of these very same files, and it works very well, and is what has traditionally been used for many years. Keep in mind, DO NOT saw it back and forth or you will ruin the file teeth. It goes one way.....push! ;) As for fret dressing, I wouldn't start my learning on a Gibson, LOL, but any cheaper guitar will do. It really isn't that hard, but takes some skill and practice to get the hang of it and to do a good job. There are several helpful books about this as well. Research, research, research! Learn as much as you can about this subject and about guitar setup before just jumping in!!!!

Yes - these come with three different sized file inserts and the largest one is the one you will be using for your Gibson electrics, unless they have small frets. But you get all the different size files with the tool. [thumbup]

Archived