Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Pecking order?

Plus Top Dan

I understand the hierarchy of Fender in terms of made in Mexico, Made in America, Deluxe series artist series custom shop etc....

But I don't get Gibsons pecking order? As in what is the model above and below a les paul standard for instance? Where does a traditional come in? :huh:

Just trying to learn a bit about stuff that's all........

Thanks in advance for schooling me!

Hello Dan! Traditional is on the same level with Standard. The difference between them is that the Standard is getting continously updated (modernized if You like) with features, like chambered body and assymetrical neck shape, while the Traditional Standard is kept in it's form that got crystalized in the 80s (almost solid body, more traditional neck shapes, vintage-sounding pickups). Below them in the LP range is the Studio, which is basically a Standard without bindings. The Specials/Juniors are without carved maple top. These are the basic models of the "Gibson USA" Les Paul range and each has many variations (for example: Traditional Plus, Pro; Studio Mahogany 60, the Studio Tribute series and such). The "Custom Shop" creates the high-end versions of this guitar: Custom, Historical Reissues, and Artist (signature) models. It is quite confusing indeed! Hope this helps and I am sure others will add more informations to this basic guideline. Cheers... Bence

As Bence says, it is a bit confusing....

One approach would be to first consider the original model range from '52 through to '60. There was a very clear heirarchy in place back then and, to a large extent, it is still extant today.

Over the course of this first period in the Les Paul story there were only four different models (and their variants, such as 3/4 scale or full-scale; single-cut or double-cut);

Bottom of the pile was the LP 'Junior' (or 'TV' if it was in blonde-finish). Slab-bodied and with one p-up, this was the most basic model in the line-up.

Next up there was the two p-up version of this flat-fronted guitar which was always called the 'Special' regardless of finish colour.

The carved-top 'Standard' was next up. Between '52 and '60 it changed specs pretty much on a yearly basis as regards hardware. P-90s before '57; PAF's afterwards.

Lastly, and top of the tree, was the 'Custom'. From '54 (model-year) - '57 it had two P-90s (neck with 'Staple' pole-pieces) and PAFs (either 2 or 3) between '57 - '60.

These four models are still current and form the basis for, along with the Studio and Traditional models, probably 95% of Les Paul production.

So we have, when it boils down to it, a base of six models. Almost all LPs produced today derive from one of these six types.

There are two 'plants' making Les Pauls - the USA line and the Custom Shop models.

The USA line produce the vast majority of instruments.

The CS produce the re-issues and suchlike where historical accuracy is the keynote. These are, like-for-like, more expensive than their USA counterparts.

One difficulty nowadays is the number of variations within each group and the new versions of the older models. There are, for example, a staggering 70(!) models featured in the Gibson USA site...

Even although there are so many models listed they are still, as mentioned above, all variations from either the original group of 4 or, otherwise, variations of a Studio or Traditional.

The 'Studio' would come in below the regular Standard or Traditional but above the regular Junior / Special.

The Traditional, as Bence says, is largely the same - status-wise - as the Standard.

The majority of the variations is made up from either Artist-endorsed models or hardware differences. Nothing more complex than that.

As an illustration of this, there are eight versions of the Traditional so how do these stack-up against each other? Reading the specs should tell you...

The Gibson 'Custom Shop' section features 51 models. This group also has a few SG-style LP's. Again, almost all of the CS guitars are differing re-issues of the original '52 - '60 instruments or special low-run Artist-inspired models.

And on it goes...

Hope this is some help. There are far too many to catalogue every one in the range but hopefully this will give you a rough idea.

P.

The "pecking order" is relative to the price tag! ;) Hence, ANY custom shop model is going to be more "oooh, aaaah!" than any "Standard" model, and the Standard models will or course be more desirable than the "Studio" model. Haven't played a custom shop model of any sort yet....but my LP Std Traditional Plus is pretty darn impressive :D And my LP Studio isn't that far behind...especially in tone and playability......They can all be great guitars, just buy the nicest one you can ALMOST reasonably afford!!!! Buy the model one step higher than your budget range and you will be pleased LOL.

....ANY custom shop model is going to be more "oooh, aaaah!" than any "Standard" model...

You bring up an interesting conundrum which I deliberately avoided, strat-o-steve!

Would, for instance, this;

Juniorsmall.jpg

...have more in the "oooh, aaaah!" stakes than this;

2012Standardsmall.jpg

:-k

Good as I'm sure the Custom Shop '57 Junior is I'm 100% certain I'd plump for a USA 2012 Standard.

As far as your own instruments go; both, of course, are excellent models. The Studio, especially, is vastly under-rated - largely on account of the lack of that very same "oooh, aaaah!" that you mention.

I'm sure Les Paul, himself, once said; "The trouble with people is that they Hear with their Eyes..."

[thumbup]

P.

To complicate this "debate" further, - based on the sentence of Mr. Les Paul quoted by Philip - I would like to add: sometimes "less is more". For example, the most ugliest Les Paul model - in my opinion - is the Supreme. It's simply TOO MUCH! It's so overdecorated that hurts my eyes. On the other hand, I can't get the Traditional Mahogany Satin Brown out of my head. It's simple, it's easy on eyes, and - to me - it is the best sounding LP in the current range. Wish I could by it now. :) Cheers... Bence

You bring up an interesting conundrum which I deliberately avoided, strat-o-steve!

Would, for instance, this;

Juniorsmall.jpg

...have more in the "oooh, aaaah!" stakes than this;

2012Standardsmall.jpg

:-k

Good as I'm sure the Custom Shop '57 Junior is I'm 100% certain I'd plump for a USA 2012 Standard.

As far as your own instruments go; both, of course, are excellent models. The Studio, especially, is vastly under-rated - largely on account of the lack of that very same "oooh, aaaah!" that you mention.

I'm sure Les Paul, himself, once said; "The trouble with people is that they Hear with their Eyes..."

[thumbup]

P.

Good point ! LOL but yes, in the "resale" world, any custom shop model will hold value better in the long term. There is a certain "prestige" to even owning a Gibson, and much more so if it has that fancy Custom Shop model logo screen printed on the reverse of the headstock ;) But I am with you....I'd take that LP over that LP jr any day of the week!

You also have the Deluxe and Classic / Classic Antique which I would rank up among the Standard. I actually rank the Classic Antique above the Standard because of the Binding around the headstock and the Inlay on the headstock. JMHO.

Too bad they stoped making these.

Archived