Gibson Brands Forums

1964 LG-1

RonG

Just wondering what everybody thinks of an 1964 LG-1. I have the opportunity to pick one up (haven't played it yet), what are they worth generally? Here's the original sellers post:

1964 Gibson LG-1 - $700 In decent shape for it's age, has a few scratches and minor dings.

All original.

Neck is straight, as is top of body ( no bellying)

Frets are good .

Great value for a mid- 60's era Gibson acoustic.

Has a brand new set of D'Addario strings on it.

Will include a new Hardshell case.

Open to REASONABLE offers.

Call 604-379-5870 or email.

And the link:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/msg/3105412631.html

Price is OK, and it doesn't have the 'tone sucking' adjustable bridge assembly. So you're at +2. The ladder braced top on these makes for a notoriously weak bass response but some of these sound sweet when flatpicked softly. That's about all you can get out of these, so just make sure the action is low and comfortable to play. If you do a side by side play with an Xbraced flat top you'll avoid regretting later. The closest Gibson in price and style is the B25 but they all have adj bridge setup, still going now for $1200 and up. Tone rules!

I've actually got a '64 LG1. Yes, they sound 'different' than X braced. I assume you already are aware of how they sound, and how X braced guitars sound, or you wouldn't be looking. I look forward to playing mine when I want a break from the sound of my X braced guitars. I don't know if you would be able to find a guitar at this price with as unique a sound. Since "They don't make them anymore.", they are becoming more sought after. $700 is a good price based on the description. I saw one in Sam Ash a year ago for $1,100. If you pull the trigger, you might want to see what she sounds like nekid. That is, with the pickguard removed. I think it makes a big difference. G'luck.

Thanks for the help, unfortunately the guitar has been sold and I missed out. Next time I'll be quicker!

It's alright, bro. Keep your eye out for a pre-68 B25. It's an affordable Xbraced intro to the LG series that you'll get good sound out of. Swap out the adjustable setup for a piece of bone and all will be well. Oh...and you'll need a few hundred more bucks.

It's alright, bro. Keep your eye out for a pre-68 B25. It's an affordable Xbraced intro to the LG series that you'll get good sound out of. Swap out the adjustable setup for a piece of bone and all will be well. Oh...and you'll need a few hundred more bucks.

A few additional thoughts about the B-25. I've owned a '65 B25, and it's clone, the Epi FT-45 Cortez. Many of these produce an outstanding tone, while some can sound dead as a doornail - but don't necessarily blame it on the wildly funky plastic bridge and adjustable ceramic insert saddle. My Cortez had a wonderful sound with that setup, so it remained on there. The B25 had developed a raised spot just behind the bridge where a hole was drilled for one of the bolts securing the bridge. Because it was structurally compromised, I had the plastic bridge and it's ten tons of associated hardware replaced. Expecting an explosion of tone with a brand new ebony bridge, instead the difference turned out to be truly minimal. A tad bit punchier on the treble side, but basically it sounded the same! A completely unexpected result, but still a great guitar which got played for twenty years. So moral of the story is, if you find a good sounding example with the plastic bridge, buy it & leave it alone until replacement becomes necessary. And my guess is if you find one that has remained structurally intact for 45+ years, that goofy bridge will probably last another 45. Honestly, this particular model represents one of the few guitars I've ever regretted letting go - so much so that in about a week I'll be taking delivery of a '66 FT-45n Cortez, plastic bridge & all. If the guitar turns out to be a keeper, I'm already flush with replacement parts, still having everything that came off the B25!

A few additional thoughts about the B-25. I've owned a '65 B25, and it's clone, the Epi FT-45 Cortez. Many of these produce an outstanding tone, while some can sound dead as a doornail - but don't necessarily blame it on the wildly funky plastic bridge and adjustable ceramic insert saddle. My Cortez had a wonderful sound with that setup, so it remained on there. The B25 had developed a raised spot just behind the bridge where a hole was drilled for one of the bolts securing the bridge. Because it was structurally compromised, I had the plastic bridge and it's ten tons of associated hardware replaced. Expecting an explosion of tone with a brand new ebony bridge, instead the difference turned out to be truly minimal. A tad bit punchier on the treble side, but basically it sounded the same! A completely unexpected result, but still a great guitar which got played for twenty years. So moral of the story is, if you find a good sounding example with the plastic bridge, buy it & leave it alone until replacement becomes necessary. And my guess is if you find one that has remained structurally intact for 45+ years, that goofy bridge will probably last another 45. Honestly, this particular model represents one of the few guitars I've ever regretted letting go - so much so that in about a week I'll be taking delivery of a '66 FT-45n Cortez, plastic bridge & all. If the guitar turns out to be a keeper, I'm already flush with replacement parts, still having everything that came off the B25!

Very good insight. Confirms what a few luthiers told me in declining to replace the perfectly functional plastic bridge on my LG1: "If it ain't broke, I don't fix it!". So, now I am going to start assuming my replacement bridge pins with the alabaster insets are bling and not boom!

Archived