Gibson Brands Forums

Highly Technical personal information security

TommyK

So, as I understand it, someone could scan your credit cards while they are in your wallet, while in your possession. I'm guessing they use some sort of high tech ray gun pointed at my hip pocket.

I have seen stainless steel, aluminum and woven metal wallets to thwart this scanning. Apparently the metalized wallets act like a Faraday cage.

I am about to build my own leather wallet from a Tandy Leather kit.

My question is, can I get this same protection by sandwiching a piece of aluminum foil between the two layers of leather before I sew them up?

Also, Could anyone get the same effect by keeping a dollar bill sized sheet of aluminum foil in the bills section of one's wallet thus placing a layer of aluminum foil on either side of my credit cards when the wallet is folded and in your pocket?

So, as I understand it, someone could scan your credit cards while they are in your wallet, while in your possession. I'm guessing they use some sort of high tech ray gun pointed at my hip pocket.

I have seen stainless steel, aluminum and woven metal wallets to thwart this scanning. Apparently the metalized wallets act like a Faraday cage.

I am about to build my own leather wallet from a Tandy Leather kit.

My question is, can I get this same protection by sandwiching a piece of aluminum foil between the two layers of leather before I sew them up?

Also, Could anyone get the same effect by keeping a dollar bill sized sheet of aluminum foil in the bills section of one's wallet thus placing a layer of aluminum foil on either side of my credit cards when the wallet is folded and in your pocket?

I was dubious about this...until I read this:

scary scanning

Guest farnsbarns

The Japanese guitars were made for one reason only, and that was to cannabilize the Asian counterfeit market, and no other reason. None of those guitars were to be sold here, just as Orville by Gibson is not sold here. The idea that there was some buncha suits clustered around onea the new Jap Strats all making pledges to keep them outta the US because they are "so GOOD!" is just myth. I played them then, I play them now whenever I see one. Same as Fedner ever was, some are great, and some are not-so-great.

rct

Only if you have a silly contactless card. I would refuse for this very reason.

Yeah its only of you have one of those new wave cards.. Just use a normal credit card and its not an issue (or like me dont have one at all :))

The problem with all this new technology is that its already old, its just taken time for the banks and big companies to catch on, so the scammers are ahead of the game.. I even get a bit worried downloaing apps sometimes these days.. They want full phone access and internet access.. You have no idea what they are actually doing to your phone behind the scenes (and anyone can release an app)... And im a massive tech fan....

Time to get antivirus on the phone I think :) (even though that doesnt even give 100% protection). Lets face it phones are now computers so need protecting like computers do (I mean my phone has a quad core in it, thats just mad).

So, it sounds like lining the wallet with Al foil is suggested, but may or may not be effective, depending u pon the frequency at which the RFID circuitry responds.

Near as I can tell I don't have any RFID cards. however, my Passport is RFID equipped. Probably best to have that shielded. Too, I may end up with an RFID card in the future. My current wallet has been in my back pocket for 15 years. 15 years from now cards will probably be passe.

Also, from what I've read of the links above, thick Al is better than foil, and Steel is better than Al. I could cut up an Altoids box, I guess. However, the wallet I'm building is not conducive to entirely encapsulating the cards, like say an Altoids box, only providing shields on either side of the cards, parallel to the plane of the cards. But I suspect a narrowed field of access (end wise to the cards) is better than none. Also, I figure, in a crowded setting (room full of sheeple) where nefarious RFID scanners ply their trade, making mine more difficult than others' to scan is a decent enough defense viz.: I don't have to be able to outrun the bear, just the other guy running from the bear.

As far as keeping the seldom used cards at home... wallet cards today are like the wad of keys I used to carry. I've tried whittling them down to a manageable few, but I still have a half inch thick stack of plastic in my wallet. While I carry substantially fewer keys than I did 20 years ago, they've been supplanted by wallet cards.

Now... what design should I carve into the leather?. Hmm....... :-k

a simple solution is just to get a protective sleeve for your credit card and even your passport lot's of companies make them now like idstroghold which is the brand I have I think they were about three buck and protect your cards from identity theft and even offer extra protection from magnets and the tag removal and rfid screens at stores which can damage your cards anyway. A whole lot easier than stuffing your wallet with metal foil or mesh.

and as for the other question;

Now... what design should I carve into the leather?. Hmm....... :-k

What else would you carve in a wallet?

IMG_0447copy.jpg

You think metal mesh (screen) would work? That would be more flexible than sheet steel or aluminum.

The way I figure it, Sheet steel/Al is thinner than one wallet card, so I'm willing to 'stuff' one or two sheets between the leathers.

Nice LP graphic.

Archived