Gibson Brands Forums

1995 Gibson Everly Cutaway

will2

I have this Gibson Everly Cutaway J-180 acoustic/electric made in Bozeman, Montana.......there is nothing about this anywhere. I can't find a picture of it anywhere and I've scoured the web for weeks. Any input by this forum is a breath of fresh air. It's supposedly very rare. Thanks

I have only ever run across one for sale so that says something about how hard to come by they are. The only thing I know about them is they were made from 1994 to 1996.

Sure seems though like Gibson liked slapping stars on the fingerboard in the mid-1990s.

Welcome.

Here's some good info from http://vintage-guitars.blogspot.com/2006/04/gibson-everly-brothers.html >

In 1962 Gibson made an artist model for the Everly Brothers - basically a J-185 but with a thinner body. The model was discontinued in 1972.

In 1986 Gibson introduced a reissue of the 1962 Everly Brothers model and renamed it the J-180, the same reissue was renamed "Everly Brothers" in 1992 and renamed again "The Everly" in 1994 and then back to J-180.

Looks like a nice electronics setup.

BTW, does "Custom" or "Custom Shop" appear on the label or back of the headstock? I think the moustache bridge with the star inlays was on a custom model.

You've got a really nice looking J-180 Everly model with a florentine cutaway (sharp horn).

Congrats. . B)

j180.jpg

The Everly was a kind of interesting guitar. It seems that Gibson was interested in doing the guitar but Phil and Don were fighting at the time so Don was the only one that wanted the deal. The guitar was only endorsed by Don so the guitar was called the singular, "Everly". The Accu-voice pickup was a bit complicated and was a good system but very few ever figured it out. The moustache bridge with "stars" was a feature found on all the Everly guitars. The Everly can be found in the 1994 catalog and it is pictured in Heritage Cherry Sunburst. It's a very nice looking guitar in that finish.It is a regular production guitar.

A search of the price lists shows the only year to have a Everly Cutaway and the Everly was 1994. The cutaway came in Antique Ebony and Heritage Cherry Sunburst. The retail was $2,229.00

The Everly shows up in 1994-1995-1996.Your guitar was neck fit on the 9th day of 2005 so it could be one of the last that was started in '94 and finished in '95.

It's a very cool guitar and there were probably not very many of them made. I checked the shipping records and Gibson doesn't have them listed.They do show that a total of 124 Everly Guitars were shipped in '94. The cutaways could have been included in that number.

The Everly shows up in 1994-1995-1996.Your guitar was neck fit on the 9th day of 2005 so it could be one of the last that was started in '94 and finished in '95.

Talk about a wealth of knowledge.....Thanks everyone , I am confused about this statement however......what do you mean when you say >> "Your guitar was neck fit on the 9th day of 2005" ? Thanks to everyone who responded....IMPRESSIVE. You can't find this kind of info hunting the web.

.BTW, does "Custom" or "Custom Shop" appear on the label or back of the headstock? I think the moustache bridge with the star inlays was on a custom model.

I checked....it doesn't say anything about custom shop anywhere. The back of the headstock is just stamped "made in the U.S.A." and the serial# stamped near the top.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a very cool guitar and there were probably not very many of them made. I checked the shipping records and Gibson doesn't have them listed.They do show that a total of 124 Everly Guitars were shipped in '94. The cutaways could have been included in that number.

Hogeye, Was this 1995 Gibson Everly Cutaway guitar only produced at the Bozeman Montana plant? Thanks

Archived