Gibson Brands Forums

new humbuckers for sg faded

BillyBlades

Hi everyone,,,

Maybe you can help me decide which way to go?

I have a faded g400 SG that I love but not totally happy with the stock pickups.

They seem a lil loose n flubby.

I have some choices from past guitars n a couple recent purchases.

A few humbuckers to choose from!

I am trying to decide what would go best with this guitar n maybe you all can help me decide what is best for it?

Choices are;

Probucker 2 & 3

Gfs professional alnico v hot

Gfs veh

Bill lawrence xl500l

Gibson 498t / 490r

Dimarzio tonezone

Just trying to hear other opinions / experiences. The sg is a really bright guitar and the stock pickups could be tighter.

Look into "Sheptones", "Fulie", ""Wolftones".....( Jonesyblues.com for Sheptones ).......

Others to consider that I do not own are ""MHD", "Motor City", and "Bare Knuckles".......

Gibby 57 Classic/57+ sets can be found for around 100-150 a set used..............

You own and mod amps, why use "lessor quality" PUs ????

Just that I have had so many things over the yrs. I dont like the 57+ because I found it too bright n twangy.

I have these pickups on hand now because I been hearing alot about gfs lately.

I had the 500xl when I was a teen (before my ear matured) and I wanted to re-experience it.

Im a fan of Dimarzio tonezones,,, i had one in my LP Studio n it Rocked!

I been seeing these boutique buckers lately as well but I havnt had experiences with them yet. Some are really pricey tho n im a skeptic ,, but since you comented on them I will check them out. Right now tho I want to see how the ones sound above because I allready have them : )

The SG is a bright guitar and that matters in choices. I dont want shrill high end. I am afraid to install an overly bright pu. I might try the al v + from gfs?

The Xl500xl was designed by Bill lawrence who used to work for Gibby I believe. That was boutique before there was boutique ; )

I am.still confused. Too many pickups n not enough guitars. I need to make a partscaster with a slide out changable humbucker slot with quick connects : )

I dont like the 57+ because I found it too bright n twangy.

Im a fan of Dimarzio tonezones

I been seeing these boutique buckers lately as well but I havnt had experiences with them yet. Some are really pricey tho n im a skeptic ,, but since you comented on them I will check them out. Right now tho I want to see how the ones sound above because I allready have them : )

The SG is a bright guitar and that matters in choices. I dont want shrill high end. I am afraid to install an overly bright pu. I might try the al v + from gfs?

The Xl500xl was designed by Bill lawrence who used to work for Gibby I believe. That was boutique before there was boutique ; )

I am.still confused. Too many pickups n not enough guitars. I need to make a partscaster with a slide out changable humbucker slot with quick connects : )

I've never heard the 57s described as "bright and twangy"; If that's how you hear them, that's interesting....alnico Vs, you don't find them bright ???

Yeah, Bill Lawrence was boutique before the term boutique, for sure.......As far as "Sheptones" and "Fuelies" go, they will have sale prices at times,

often around any holidays, etc etc.....They all post on the MLP forum.....It IS true that MOST boutique U guys do NOT offer discounts though...........

Yes, if you could assemble a "neutral" sounding guitar with a "pop in/pop out" system, that would be good for you.....Keep us up-dated on your tone quest..

I gotta find my 57+. Its a genuine Gibson. I loaded it yrs ago into a korina flying v thru my old soldano hr50 and it was like razorblades on the treble. I moved a couple times n its somewhere in my garage. I got to find it and try it out in my ultra!

The BL xl pickup always been like 50 bucks. Not bad at all. They are all handmade too. Makes me wonder about prices because I just had a big war with the Amp Mod monopoly over the way they gouge people. Some big names got pulled into that fiasco. I got ripped off n went crazy on them.

I dont mind a fair price,,, just not people reaching into your wallet like they got the secret to immortality.

I will look into the ones you refered to : )

Nothing wrong with knowledge!

Thanks

I was thinkin about that to because the 498/490 setup seems a little "dark" in the lpstudio.

I was wondering if the 498 would like the sg. Seems like gibsons designs are really wood sensative. A pickup that sounds great in a bolt-on guitar might sound like crap in a lp or sg and vice versa.

I put a set of mojotone clone series pafs in my vintage g400 when they had a half price sale recently...hand wound alnico 5 neck and alnico 2 bridge. great sounding pickups. Also, i have a set of stewmac golden age parson street pafs in a warmoth telepaul that would probably sound great in the g400...good price too.

thanks guys for all the cool options n a few that I never thought or knew about ; )

Thumbs up to you guys!

Makes me wish I owned a music store ; )

I have always searched for that magical tone but as I got more experienced I found there were several holy grail/magical tones

: )

I like the uniqueness of ddifferent tones and when I record my songs this fall I want to make a tracklist of where n when I use certain guitars,,,amps,,,etc,etc. So right now I am just trying to prepare everything because I want to do this right.

Thanks for the help ;nD

Archived