Gibson Brands Forums

I need a Marshall Cab

Twiz

• 2 months later...

I had always thought the JCM speaker was the G12-75? Not saying you are wrong, just curious (I don't actually know).

More specifically, (again, I ain't the guy to be saying specifics) is that the G12-65 was the speaker used for the JMP series, the G12-70 was introduced and intended to be the JCM speaker, but it wassn't very well recieved and replaced by the G12-75.

What I think is a worthy question: when exactly did Celestian change to China manufacture? What are the actual differences? As in, have many compared, say, the Vintage 30 made in England and the Vintage 30 made in China?

That might seem a good thing to know when it comes to, say buying "reissues" with hopes of getting the sound you had with the origonal.

Just saw this, sorry.

My JCM800 cabs I purchased new (1x top & 1x bottom) back in 88-89 in Atl Georgia had 65 watt G1265's in them, new in box cabs. All the used ones I ever purchased back then had the same except for one which was loaded with the 70's. I owned 7 800 cabs at the time and looked at many more and never came across an 800 cab with 75s in it. This was my experience with them in my area.

I do like the 75s as well, had them in my 900 cabs I've owned and current cabs. I can say the china ones sound not as good as the made in England ones. I purchased 2 75s to load a 2x12 and received the PRC manufactured ones. It's not just the tonal dif of 4x12 vs 2x12, the speaker just doesn't sound the same.

I would not buy the Chinese ones, IMO.

Archived