Gibson Brands Forums

I need a Marshall Cab

Twiz

One of my bands shares a practice spot with another band. Last night at practice I played through a JCM800 4X12 slant cab. Holy crap. My V sounded better than I've ever heard it. Just when I think I'm done buying stuff, I get more GAS. Darn it. I'm beginning to think that chasing tone is an endless journey. [crying][scared][blink]

marshall.jpg

Depending on how old that 800 cab is, it will either have the G12-65 or G12-70 speakers. Both sound great but the 65 is the sweet meat! Most of my old 800 cabs had the 65's and they just sounded awesome. Celestion has reissued them but are big $$$.

Warehouse Guitar Speakers has a clone of it for much less. Buy the speakers and load your own cab!

http://wgs4.com/content/et65

the nice part about marshall 1960a/b cabs is that they are really common and therefor cheap on the used market. I bought my JCM900 1960a for a whopping $325. I'm watching CL to score another.

Yeah, the WGS speakers are the ****!

I love Avatar cabs myself. Their vintage series 4x12 is based on the 70s Marshall cabs with the basketweave grill cloth (kinda like the ones AC/DC uses live).

And I highly doubt a newer Marshall cab will sound as good. Those old cabs are somethin'!

Lastly, in that pic of your 5150 with the Marshall cab, are you plugged into the low gain input? I use the low gain input on my Peavey Prowler and I have never seen anyone else use the low input on any amp.

Actually, I just found a used Avatar 4X12 at a local shop. I'm going to check that out. They only want $300. If I don't like it, I'm going to go for a used 1960 cab. I see 'em on Craigslist from time to time. [thumbup]

Also, Kaleb, good eye! I've always used the low input on my amp. The high is just a little too hissy (is that the word?) for me. Maybe I'm crazy, but I swear I hear the wood of the guitar a little more when I use the low input. I don't use a lot of gain. *Edit* The tone I shoot for is kinda like the guitar sound on Judas Priest's Sad Wings Of Destiny.

Actually, I just found a used Avatar 4X12 at a local shop. I'm going to check that out. They only want $300. If I don't like it, I'm going to go for a used 1960 cab. I see 'em on Craigslist from time to time. [thumbup]

Also, Kaleb, good eye! I've always used the low input on my amp. The high is just a little too hissy (is that the word?) for me. Maybe I'm crazy, but I swear I hear the wood of the guitar a little more when I use the low input. I don't use a lot of gain.

Well, the 5150s have almost too much gain (you would know....), and the low channel sounds warmer IMHO. I find that with a lot of Peavey amps. Just with Peaveys though, not with any other brand.

My Prowler isn't super high gain amp at all (I would describe it as a JCM900 amount of gain), but I don't hear a big difference in gain between the two inputs. The high input sounds a bit hotter and sizzling to my ears, while the low input is warmer and smoother. It's also less bright, so it works better with single coils.

I seriously thought I was the only one that used the low channel on the Peaveys.

Pass on the current "1960" cabs that only say "1960" in the bottom left corner. If it says JCM 800 or 900 / 1960 lead, it will be made of birch (some of the very late JCM 900 1960 models were particle board though, just look for a date code on it). The back panel on the 1960 cabs has been particle board since sometime in the late 70's I beleive.

Avatar sells some very well made, high quality cabinets, although I don't think they actually make the cabs themselves in their shop, they just load them with your choice of speakers, and wire them up. I have the Avatar vintage 2x12. Love it, but it is essentially brand new and just sits unused (I currently have 7 speaker cabs).

I have been looking at WGS speakers for a few years, and it's probably about time I buy a few and check em out. I've heard great things about WGS.

Pass on the current "1960" cabs that only say "1960" in the bottom left corner. If it says JCM 800 or 900 / 1960 lead, it will be made of birch (some of the very late JCM 900 1960 models were particle board though, just look for a date code on it). The back panel on the 1960 cabs has been particle board since sometime in the late 70's I beleive...

Yeah, the one in my photo earlier in this thread has the JCM 800 next to 1960. I'm guessing that the birch and the older speakers are what got me. [thumbup]

Lastly, in that pic of your 5150 with the Marshall cab, are you plugged into the low gain input? I use the low gain input on my Peavey Prowler and I have never seen anyone else use the low input on any amp.

Funny, I use the lower input pretty much exclusively no matter what amp I'm using. For no particular reason really..

Most of the time I'm pretty sure both inputs are the same but I go for the second one because I'm weird like that haha

the nice part about marshall 1960a/b cabs is that they are really common and therefor cheap on the used market. I bought my JCM900 1960a for a whopping $325. I'm watching CL to score another.

Nice, here in Nashville good deals like that can be harder to come along because apparently some folks know their sh!t.

Check this one out, this cab has been around but still $450 firm

read the description

http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/3098767446.html

I'm jonesing for this one myself...

1960tv

DV016_Jpg_Large_482769_V.jpg

If you find one grab it . I had one I bought back in the early 90's and paired with a JCM800 it was a killer sounding cabinet. Nice midrange... Wish I would have never sold that rig.... msp_crying.gif

If you find one grab it . I had one I bought back in the early 90's and paired with a JCM800 it was a killer sounding cabinet. Nice midrange... Wish I would have never sold that rig.... msp_crying.gif

They have re-issued them now. That pic is straight form MFs website. They are $1250

Depending on how old that 800 cab is, it will either have the G12-65 or G12-70 speakers. Both sound great but the 65 is the sweet meat! Most of my old 800 cabs had the 65's and they just sounded awesome. Celestion has reissued them but are big $$$.

Warehouse Guitar Speakers has a clone of it for much less. Buy the speakers and load your own cab!

http://wgs4.com/content/et65

I had always thought the JCM speaker was the G12-75? Not saying you are wrong, just curious (I don't actually know).

More specifically, (again, I ain't the guy to be saying specifics) is that the G12-65 was the speaker used for the JMP series, the G12-70 was introduced and intended to be the JCM speaker, but it wassn't very well recieved and replaced by the G12-75.

What I think is a worthy question: when exactly did Celestian change to China manufacture? What are the actual differences? As in, have many compared, say, the Vintage 30 made in England and the Vintage 30 made in China?

That might seem a good thing to know when it comes to, say buying "reissues" with hopes of getting the sound you had with the origonal.

What I think is a worthy question: when exactly did Celestian change to China manufacture? What are the actual differences? As in, have many compared, say, the Vintage 30 made in England and the Vintage 30 made in China?

Don't know when, what changed depends on who you ask, I heard a guy say he sold his UK-made Vintage 30's for a great price and kept his sets of Chinese Vintage 30's because he could not hear the difference. Some say that the components are still made in the UK but assembled in China.

I had always thought the JCM speaker was the G12-75?

So did I, actually. But I could be wrong too.

I thought they still made some in the UK - just the lower priced ones are Asian made. But again, I could be wrong.

Archived